Tell me about LEGIONNAIRES

No MERCY

Can anybody tell me everything you know about legionaers and how to join them. I'd really liked to train or be part of the french foreign legoinaers.

Read Life in the French Foreign Legion by Evan McGorman. It has some pretty good information, a little out of date as things tend to change yearly in the FFL, but it will help you.

I'm not sure where you are from, but if you can go into your home-countries military, then I would suggest that before heading off into the Legion. But if you insist on military life and for whatever reason can't get into your own military, the Legion is an option. It's not the same as it was even a few years ago, but they still get some descent missions and the experience is, well its different for each individual. Lastly, the Legion is not an elite force, its a unique unit that do some things better and some worse than others. I've worked with the FFL before, and my cousin was in for a time, there are some good and bad in the Legion, as in any military.

2 Cents worth

Well you must apply to the leigon on french or french occupied soil. I guess now a days, with the loss of most of its colonys, that your best bet is to go to France to enlist.

Although i must agree that the F.F.L. has high espirit de corps, and a kick tale reputation, i seriously doubt that most americans really have the ability to put up with the dicipline and the lanquage skills required for the F.F.L. You just might be an exception. i say go for it.

At least you'd get a little cheese with that whine... :p

well rendersafe

notice i said most americans...

1. i dont believe that most americans can take that type of disciplinary life ( i do not believe that a lot of people raised in the US would really adapt to an espirt d corp that would possibly require them to die for another country other than their own)

and 2. All command and orders are in french. Id say most americans really dont have a desire to learn another lanquage skill.

Now it would appear that you arent like most americans..need i say any more?

:D

saw a doco once on the legionares- definately lots of work, definately lots of commitment (10 years service minimum- or 10years gaol term); however, there are people of every nationality in the FFL (including americans) however most officers are french. not sure about the NCO's though...

. i dont believe that most americans can take that type of disciplinary life ( i do not believe that a lot of people raised in the US would really adapt to an espirt d corp that would possibly require them to die for another country other than their own)

Why? Americans join the USMC, or the Army.. the discipline needed for any of the US services and branches is not so different from that of the FFL. In fact, an AF Airmen is likely to have the same, if not more discipline than a FFL Caporal. From what I have experienced working with them, lower enlisted required a LOT of supervision; but their NCO cadre were first-rate by any standard.
Most non-French nationals that join the FFL are hardly doing it out of some great loyalty to France - the legion offers opportunities for those from countries whose military may not be up to par with their ideologies, or they simply can't get in. They aren't all "Yay France, whoopee" .. "For France." Mostly, they seem to want to fight, get paid, get laid, or get a French passport. They also have a problem with people deserting.

Now, if you mean to say most American civilians without any inclination to get out of the armchair .. I can agree with that, but then, my opinions of the majority of civilians in this country isn't very high these days.

2. All command and orders are in french. Id say most americans really dont have a desire to learn another lanquage skill.

You can't understand half of them anyway, they're always on the drink. (the lads know how to live it up) Most that I've spoken to said they didn't know a bit of French until they joined, and picked up most of what they knew within the first year. One doesn't need to learn it before they join, but if would be a bright idea to do so.

10 years service minimum

Five.

I worked with them in the US and Corsica. Also linked up with them on some extra-curricular activities in Kurdville and Somalia, I was envious of their ROE - their areas always seemed to be quieter. Yet, they said the same of our ROE. Go figure.

well rendersafe:

I guess thats the crux of any discussion board: That is your opinion, and this is mine.

Yes, I was very careful to preface this with the words Most Americans. Not all americans. Not everyone. just Most americans.

I really do not believe that most americans would join another countrys military group unless the need was there. Quite a few Joined the Abraham Lincoln Brigade in Spain durnish the Spanish Civil War: quite a few joined the layfayette Escadille during WWI. Quite a few joined the Eagle squadron in England during WWII. Chenaults Group was busy in China also. there are numerous other examples as well. These men and women were the exception to the rule.

Yes, what I mean in my statements is that that the average, uncommitted armchair american really isnt motivated to get involved in another persons army.

aw not to worry Guy :D

all hes saying is that i have the natural ability to state the obvious...and hes laughing. No worrys here. :wink:

want to know

I am an american thatwas just interested in what you guys knew and had to say. You guys are right. It would be pretty hard to cope with their ways. I'd probably get mad and quit. Plus not old enough to join the us forces yet. I read that the french would take you. The only way to get you out is if your parents send a letter and your birth certificate.

spec. ops.

I really want to become SWCC and then try out for the seals. I'd be the first seal in my family. that would be a great accomplishment. The last spec. ops. person was during NAM. And don't see them at all.

Back