Do Tell! Hill Rips Gay-GI Rule

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
New York Post
March 6, 2007
By Ian Bishop
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton is breaking with her husband on gays in the military, calling for the "don't ask, don't tell" policy to be replaced by show and tell.
Speaking to the nation's leading gay-rights group in an unannounced speech, the Democratic White House front-runner vowed to throw open the closet door for gays who want to serve in the military.
"This policy doesn't just hurt gays and lesbians, it hurts all our troops, and this to me is a matter of national security, and we're going to fix it," Clinton told the Human Rights Campaign.
"I am proud to stand by your side," Clinton said in the keynote speech Friday, which was not announced publicly.
Clinton, who has drawn criticism from the gay community for supporting civil unions but not gay marriage, discussed her support for same-sex unions and equality for gays.
Asked twice at a campaign stop in Iowa yesterday why she kept her speech in the closet, Clinton said, "You'll have to ask my campaign."
The Human Rights Campaign let the cat out of the bag by posting a video of the speech on its Web site.
A Human Rights Campaign spokesman said keynote speeches to the group are "always closed to the press, and we wanted to make [the remarks] available for people to see."
Clinton spokesman Blake Zeff said, "We're delighted that the speech at HRC's board meeting, which is traditionally closed to press, was posted on their Web site within hours."
When he was president, Bill Clinton infuriated many in the gay community by not backing efforts to allow openly gay individuals to serve in the military and instead pushing the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
The former first lady publicly opposed the policy in 1999 as she launched her first New York Senate bid, and on Friday told the Human Rights Campaign her commitment to gay rights would continue.
"I want you to know that just as you always have an open door to my Senate office, you will always have an open door to the White House, and together we can continue this journey," she told the group.
Clinton's prime rivals for the Democratic nomination, Barack Obama and John Edwards, have also called for the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell."
David Smith, a former aide to Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) and now a Human Rights Campaign vice president, said Clinton's speech was "very well received," but added the group won't be endorsing a presidential candidate "anytime soon."
Meanwhile yesterday, Clinton campaigned in the kickoff caucus state of Iowa.
She praised the state, where the alternative fuel ethanol is blossoming into big business, saying "history books will be traced back to Iowa, because you were ahead of the curve."

So when is she going to just finish this story and come out of the closet and declare her marriage a sham??

Back