Byline: n/a
Date: 25 August 2006

LONDON - British Private Jason Chelsea committed suicide after he was
allegedly told by his commanders that he could be ordered to fire on child
suicide bombers in an upcoming tour of duty in Iraq, newspapers reported on
Friday.

His mother said Thursday that before dying, the 19-year-old told her: "I
can't go out there and shoot at young children. I just can't go to Iraq. I
don't care what side they are on. I can't do it," The Independent reported.

The Times quoted army sources as saying, however, that there was no evidence
that Iraqi insurgents used young children as suicide bombers and that
pre-deployment training did not include any such warnings.

At home on leave, Chelsea, who had previously served in Germany and Cyprus,
took 60 painkillers and then slashed his wrists on the night of August 10.
He died on August 14 from irreparable damage done to his liver, and would
not have survived a transplant, doctors told his parents.

Chelsea had previously attempted to commit suicide in 2004, when he cut his
wrists in his barracks.

"The army is greatly saddened by the death of Kingsman (Private) Chelsea," a
spokeswoman for the Ministry of Defence told AFP.

"The thoughts and sympathies of all its soldiers are with his family and
friends at this very difficult time."

"There are going to be investigations into this incident ... and until they
are complete, we can't comment any further."

It is a shame he took that course of action, which leads up to the question of why did he join the army, if killing was abhorrent to him

bulldogg said:
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot over?!

Make that double! :eek:

Surely there must of being warning signs this kid was about to crack?

Damn lucky he only killed himself and no others around him.

The news here (bbc) at the moment doesnt help I guess. Its seems to be making the us and the iraq war in general bigger and badder, its very biased I personally think.
Tony Blair is going to be in serious trouble next election.
Its sad story, but he obviously wasnt suppose to be in the army. Its a pity. A lot of people are joining nowerdays as they dont have great results in gsce etc and its the only option for them (besides working in tescos for the rest of your life), or else if a parent has served. Who knows.

Last edited:
This kid slipped through the holes in the safety net and my heart goes out to his family. He was not cut out for military service and iI agreee with Nick that its a shame it came to this.

bulldogg said:
This kid slipped through the holes in the safety net and my heart goes out to his family. He was not cut out for military service and iI agreee with Nick that its a shame it came to this.

The problem is what you do with somebody who attempts suicide.
Obviously they aren't suitable for military service, but you pretty much line them up to follow through with it if you discharge them. It is the last thing they need - another failure.

So it's catch 22. Keep them in, try and counsel them and fix the problem.... but risk having them top themselves. Or kick them out, and wash your hands of the problem... and then have him most likely kill himself still.

Its the lesser of two evils the way I see it. If they kill themselves after you discharge them at least then it only takes one life but if they stay in most go out "with a bang" and don't go alone. But I completely understand your point. I would think it appropriate to have them spend some time in a psych unit before they are discharged and perhaps if deemed a serious threat to themselves they are discharged directly into another hospital, civilian type to minimise the chances of a tragic outcome.

bulldogg said:
Its the lesser of two evils the way I see it. If they kill themselves after you discharge them at least then it only takes one life but if they stay in most go out "with a bang" and don't go alone. But I completely understand your point. I would think it appropriate to have them spend some time in a psych unit before they are discharged and perhaps if deemed a serious threat to themselves they are discharged directly into another hospital, civilian type to minimise the chances of a tragic outcome.

It sucks doesn't it. Total catch 22. But whatever you do, you need to get them help, either in the system or once they've got the boot.

bulldogg said:

Got to agree with bulldogg here. No way around it. If the guy was going to off himself it is far better for him to do it outside the military after getting help than in the military. As callous as it sounds, him suiciding outside of the military would have less of an impact than him doing so while still serving.

Doesnt the Army offer counseling? War is a stressful business you'd think they'd have doctors to help those that need help managing the pressure.

I often fail to understand why people join the Army then complain when they are asked to go into combat. Just what do they think the army is all about, the British have been action ever since the end of WW2 so it can't be great surprise to them if they wind up in a combat zone. The choice is always yours if you pull the trigger or not if you have any doubts on your target.

mmarsh said:
Doesnt the Army offer counseling? War is a stressful business you'd think they'd have doctors to help those that need help managing the pressure.

Yes and no. As an ethical thing you have to give an attempted suicide some form of couseling, then they are on the civilian worlds hands.

Back