Teenage British private faced with serving in Iraq commits suicide - Page 2

--

August 27th, 2006  
major liability

Sad story. I've never read about someone who'd rather die than kill before.
August 28th, 2006  
AussieNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Its the lesser of two evils the way I see it. If they kill themselves after you discharge them at least then it only takes one life but if they stay in most go out "with a bang" and don't go alone. But I completely understand your point. I would think it appropriate to have them spend some time in a psych unit before they are discharged and perhaps if deemed a serious threat to themselves they are discharged directly into another hospital, civilian type to minimise the chances of a tragic outcome.
It sucks doesn't it. Total catch 22. But whatever you do, you need to get them help, either in the system or once they've got the boot.
August 28th, 2006  
Marinerhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Its the lesser of two evils the way I see it. If they kill themselves after you discharge them at least then it only takes one life but if they stay in most go out "with a bang" and don't go alone. But I completely understand your point. I would think it appropriate to have them spend some time in a psych unit before they are discharged and perhaps if deemed a serious threat to themselves they are discharged directly into another hospital, civilian type to minimise the chances of a tragic outcome.

Got to agree with bulldogg here. No way around it. If the guy was going to off himself it is far better for him to do it outside the military after getting help than in the military. As callous as it sounds, him suiciding outside of the military would have less of an impact than him doing so while still serving.
--
August 29th, 2006  
mmarsh

Doesnt the Army offer counseling? War is a stressful business you'd think they'd have doctors to help those that need help managing the pressure.
August 29th, 2006  
LeEnfield

I often fail to understand why people join the Army then complain when they are asked to go into combat. Just what do they think the army is all about, the British have been action ever since the end of WW2 so it can't be great surprise to them if they wind up in a combat zone. The choice is always yours if you pull the trigger or not if you have any doubts on your target.
September 1st, 2006  
AussieNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Doesnt the Army offer counseling? War is a stressful business you'd think they'd have doctors to help those that need help managing the pressure.
Yes and no. As an ethical thing you have to give an attempted suicide some form of couseling, then they are on the civilian worlds hands.