Technology through time

UBIQUE

I was recently asked what could be considered to have been the ONE single piece of technology that has mostly benefited the soldier over time.

I could not pin it down to one but came up with three. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

Cheers

UBIQUE said:
I was recently asked what could be considered to have been the ONE single piece of technology that has mostly benefited the soldier over time.

I could not pin it down to one but came up with three. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

Cheers

Body Armor

Camo

Optic's and Imaging Device's

Comm's

I could come up with tons more, but this will do.

Radios were one that we came up with.

The idea was bounced around over mornos one day and we refined the criteria by saying it had to be used in more than one conflict, had to be versatile, had to have a prolonged and far reaching effect and had to be technical in nature not just an adaptation of current materials

NVG's have only been on the scene a short time and were not considered to have had a large impact as it was introduced piecemeal. For example the entire combat force was not issued with it at once, only small units or individuals such as flight crews and SF.

Armour was not considered as technology, more a use of materials

Cam is just a use of materials, nothing to techo about dirt, grass and leaves

Nice thinking though, any other suggestions?

Cheers

UBIQUE said:
Radios were one that we came up with.

The idea was bounced around over mornos one day and we refined the criteria by saying it had to be used in more than one conflict, had to be versatile, had to have a prolonged and far reaching effect and had to be technical in nature not just an adaptation of current materials

NVG's have only been on the scene a short time and were not considered to have had a large impact as it was introduced piecemeal. For example the entire combat force was not issued with it at once, only small units or individuals such as flight crews and SF.

Armour was not considered as technology, more a use of materials

Cam is just a use of materials, nothing to techo about dirt, grass and leaves

Nice thinking though, any other suggestions?

Cheers

Night vision has been around since the 40's.

Helicopters medicine and radios were the three we came up with.

I'm not disputing that Kevlar is not a good thing but we considered it a use of know materials just as wooden shields, leather, plate and chain mail where also a use of materials.

Even though night vision has been round since the 40's it was not used on a large scale untill GW1 (?)

One of the things I thought had a pretty profound effect (although didn't fit into our criteria) was barbed wire as since its invention 1874
it has been used to shape the battle field, canalising the enemy into your
chosen killing ground and when employed correctly can even stop armour.

But then again.......... I am an Engineer :D

UBIQUE said:
Helicopters medicine and radios were the three we came up with.

I'm not disputing that Kevlar is not a good thing but we considered it a use of know materials just as wooden shields, leather, plate and chain mail where also a use of materials.

Even though night vision has been round since the 40's it was not used on a large scale untill GW1 (?)

One of the things I thought had a pretty profound effect (although didn't fit into our criteria) was barbed wire as since its invention 1874
it has been used to shape the battle field, canalising the enemy into your
chosen killing ground and when employed correctly can even stop armour.

But then again.......... I am an Engineer :D

Night vision's first major use was in Vietnam. It's most wide speard use was in ODS.

Landmines and grenades too. They have been in use since about the same time as barbed wire.

Yeah Wire is great. I had a mate who had Cat 4 wire running all around his property in preparation for y2k. Lets see a suicide bomber get through that.

Night vision's first major use was in Vietnam. It's most wide speard use was in ODS.

Was it issued to every soldier in every Bn?? I still don't think it has as far reaching versatility as the radio/comms. It only increases the operating window to potentially 24hr Ops.

Anyone think of GPS????

Even the Rupert's can't get lost with that!

UBIQUE said:

Was it issued to every soldier in every Bn?? I still don't think it has as far reaching versatility as the radio/comms. It only increases the operating window to potentially 24hr Ops.

Anyone think of GPS????

It wasn't issued to everysoldier but it was in most platoon's inventory.

UBIQUE said:

Anyone think of GPS????

How can GPS be, it hasn't been around that long.

Back