• Tanks will get bigger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanks will stay about the same

• They'll get smaller with improved technology

• Total voters

WarMachine

Ever since tanks were first made they've kept on getting bigger and more powerful. The king tiger in ww2 was the largest used during the war, but now all MBTs are about the tiger's size if not larger, are tanks going to continue to grow, or will they downsize?

More powerful yes, but bigger? Tanks have pretty much stayed the same general dimensions for the last 50 years or so. I don't see that part changing any time soon. They will get more powerful though.

I think they will get a smaller, not larger. We've done large and larger (can anyone spell M103, Conqueror or T10?).

Even with turbine engines, there is a practical limit to the size and weight of any piece of equipment, particularly on the battlefield and big stuff draws fire - bad news :(

I think you're correct, Sir, that there will be a greater demand for smaller tank-like vehicles in today's combat situations though I see that role as more likely taken by such vehicles as the gun mounted Stryker and the like. Tracked tanks will likely stay the same dimensions. There will indeed be more of a mix than there currently is to be sure, but I don't see the MBT going away.

They will get smaller, but there will be a huge gun though. Althought I'd like to see a schematic for a two barrelled Abrams tank.

Tanks are good as they are. Just make them faster, better armoured and pack alot of firepower. We dont need a 'maus tank'. Surely it will make it a bigger target for aircraft.

I think we will see a deduction in MBT noumbers, but those that will remain in service will be the same size as today. They will be more advanced tech wise, naturaly.

We will also, as Charge 7 said, see many countrys buyibg lighter armored vehiceles like the Stryer and other wheeld gun systems.

with the military turning towards a more urban battlefield, there will be a greater demand for smaller, more manuverable tanks... even if it means losing some firepower.

the days of and open field army vs army melee has gone. todays battles are won with technology, comm, and recon. i doubt the military will need anything bigger than our current M1-A1,A2s.

80 tons is pretty damned big and is outstripping the means for them to be effectively delivered to a battlefield. So tanks will get smaller for ease of mobility.

hi,

I want this thingy ............ :D

tnk_bmpt%20003.jpg

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Tanks will get smaller, though not that much smaller. The most modern armies will end up with 2 tanks, one a proper MBT in size and role and the other an air-portable tank designed to hold ground and achieve limited objectives until the heavy stuff arrives by sea.

The US had one similar to that during the Vietnam War. It consisted of 4 recoiless rifles on a tank chasis. It was lightly armored and had to be reloaded by having the crew go outside. It was barely used and when used, it was not effective.

thegrinch073 said:
The US had one similar to that during the Vietnam War. It consisted of 4 recoiless rifles on a tank chasis. It was lightly armored and had to be reloaded by having the crew go outside. It was barely used and when used, it was not effective.

the russian vehicle looks like an anit aircraft platform....four small AA missles & two 30 mm cannons. not recoiless rifles

As far as I know, this tank is a demonstration item and is undergoing modifications.

thegrinch073 said:

The Ontos. It actually worked a little in Hue, all 4 rifles going off scared snipers away.

Back