Tank, we've had this before but we have a gust star!

AlexKall

Well there have been many talks about tanks, Leo's M1A2(SEP) T80 (and 90) Type 98. The strange thing is that the Swedish tank has never ever been mentioned, besides by me ( :lol: ). Many might consider it as a ordinary Leopard 2, i guess that might be a big reason to why its not mentioned in debates or comparisons or other posts. The fact is that this tank is not an ordinary Leopard 2, its although a Leaopard 2A5 but its so much more. Its compared to the Leopard 2A6 and in some cases its considered to be better then that. Well the fact is that this tank is built in Sweden, rather then Germany. The fact is that it has more advanced FCS and other electronics made by a Swedish electonics company rather then the German company. Giving it an edge. It has also new additional armor, reactive armor, manufactured in Sweden which takes the A5 to a level comparable to that of the C2. And to those who dont know how reactive armor works, its basicly a sheet of metal (or comasite meterial that is used nowadays) with a explosive meterial and then a sheat of metal ontop of that. In an invent of a armor pearcing round hits the first layer the explosives detonate creating a blast towards the round which dempens its speed which it needs for the armor pearsing careteristics, this contines maybe around 5-8 layers till its stoped. This isnt effective on all types of rounds though but it gives a good protection. Most tanks today have reactive armor. (correct me if i missunderstood anything about the reactive armor prosess)

Why is STRV 122 never brought up in a comparison as its in some areas is considered better then the Leopard 2A6 (the more powerfull engine and the tubing, ie the gun, is what the STRV 122 dont have that the A6 has.)

What do you think of this tank?

I'll submit some info about it tomorrow.

So are you saying its a reverse engineered Leopard 2 with some Swedish tweaking? If that's the case, then its not really a Swedish concept. Just a copy of sorts. But please correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

One dilema with most Swedish equipment is that it just doesn't get the press coverage that other nations do. Sweden could come up with the very best of any single piece of hardware, and the world would largely be oblivious.

Isn't it just a Leo 2 built under license using some Swedish parts and specs?

You're right though. I hear it is the most advanced tank of the Leo family if I'm correct in understanding your post. And in that case it's a helluva tank.

The Strv-122 is the most advanced Leopard design, despite the lack of a L55 gun. It has the Tank Command Control System, the Galix protection system, and improved top armor.

The Strv-122 doesn't have explosive reactive armor, it has a NERA, which how it works I have no idea.

godofthunder9010 said:
Leopard and Abrams weren't using the same Fire Control System last I heard.

I know, I meant if the Strv-122 uses the same one as the Leopard, it's easier to use then the Abrams'

godofthunder9010 said:
So are you saying its a reverse engineered Leopard 2 with some Swedish tweaking? If that's the case, then its not really a Swedish concept. Just a copy of sorts. But please correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

One dilema with most Swedish equipment is that it just doesn't get the press coverage that other nations do. Sweden could come up with the very best of any single piece of hardware, and the world would largely be oblivious.

Swedish tank as in used by Sweden, owned by Sweden and made for/by Sweden. The German company made the tank with help from Swedish companys, as how i understood it.

It uses another FCS then the German Leopard 2, STRV 122 got a Swedish built FCS by a company called CELSIUS Tech, its said to be more advanced and better then the german one. I can try to ask a friend of mine about the FCS system. I dont know if he knows that much about the FCS but he do know alot about comunication between the tanks, so he might know some bits of the FCS as his work is linked to the FCS. As most information is classified, and he's not allowed to say much about it, i doubt that i will get much information, if any. But its woth a try.
Or am i mixing this up with the TCC System? Might be :lol:
Now when i read it might actually be the TCC system thats made and developed by Celsius Tech, although they do make FC Systems. And i think i read somewhere about the new FC System. Might have mixed those up thought. I'll try to see if i can get some info about that aswell.

I read somewhere that it got reactive, im probebly wrong about that point though. Dont know that much about it as 90% (estimation) is basicly classified.

But yes its correct that its a German tank made for our climate and needs. Although some Swedish modifications are present such as the FCS system and some other things. The drivers Optics are different aswell, dont know about the gunners optics however.

EDIT: I just read some info about the STRV 122 and aparently its the TCCS thats new and manufactured by CELSIUS Tech.

Kozzy Mozzy said:
The Strv-122 is the most advanced Leopard design, despite the lack of a L55 gun. It has the Tank Command Control System, the Galix protection system, and improved top armor.

The Strv-122 doesn't have explosive reactive armor, it has a NERA, which how it works I have no idea.

Where did you get the information of the STRV 122 armor?
I've been trying to find out but its classifed what type of armor it is, only that its manufactured by SSAB :eek:

Off tank-net and Modern tanks forum. I've never heard it was explosive armor either, only NERA.

I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I am almost positive it's not ERA.

well if the swedes modified it, then its sorta their own tank... the M60 was just a M48 with a new turret... but its considered a diff tank... so imo, if its modifed to a certain degree, and i dont just mean changing the instructions on the tank from german to sweedish :D, then it should be considered as a diff tank imo.

Kozzy Mozzy said:
Off tank-net and Modern tanks forum. I've never heard it was explosive armor either, only NERA.

I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I am almost positive it's not ERA.

Can you give me a link? I can't search on that site (tank net) :(

Note on reactive armour. This armour was designed to disrupt the high energy jet produced by shape charged weapons, mostly used by anti tank missiles like Milan , Tow etc. layer armour like the british chobham stops kinetic rounds (sabots etc) by deflecting the round as it goes through the armour causing the harded head to break off.

Another method of stopping heat rounds is to use thin armour skirts which cause the round to go of early.In response some heat rounds now have 2 charges one to go through the skirt or first layer of reactive armour another to kill the tank.

The Russian era armour deflects sabot rounds by having 2 plates above and below the explosive which are designed to move when the round hits so the round travels through more armour than it would if it hit straight on.

The american adrams m1a2 has depleted uranium plates over their chobham armour where the british have a later version which has the depleted uranium built in.

Chobham armor doesn't work like that. All it is is steel and ceramic blocks layered on top of each other. It doesn't offer much more protection against KE rounds then conventional steel. What it does offer is high CE resistance because of the molecular structure of ceramics.

And I don't believe Dorchester (3rd Generation Chobham) on the Challenger's has DU built into it. The British don't like the health concerns with DU armor.

Back