Tank, we've had this before but we have a gust star!

--

October 14th, 2004  
AlexKall

Topic: Tank, we've had this before but we have a gust star!

Well there have been many talks about tanks, Leo's M1A2(SEP) T80 (and 90) Type 98. The strange thing is that the Swedish tank has never ever been mentioned, besides by me ( ). Many might consider it as a ordinary Leopard 2, i guess that might be a big reason to why its not mentioned in debates or comparisons or other posts. The fact is that this tank is not an ordinary Leopard 2, its although a Leaopard 2A5 but its so much more. Its compared to the Leopard 2A6 and in some cases its considered to be better then that. Well the fact is that this tank is built in Sweden, rather then Germany. The fact is that it has more advanced FCS and other electronics made by a Swedish electonics company rather then the German company. Giving it an edge. It has also new additional armor, reactive armor, manufactured in Sweden which takes the A5 to a level comparable to that of the C2. And to those who dont know how reactive armor works, its basicly a sheet of metal (or comasite meterial that is used nowadays) with a explosive meterial and then a sheat of metal ontop of that. In an invent of a armor pearcing round hits the first layer the explosives detonate creating a blast towards the round which dempens its speed which it needs for the armor pearsing careteristics, this contines maybe around 5-8 layers till its stoped. This isnt effective on all types of rounds though but it gives a good protection. Most tanks today have reactive armor. (correct me if i missunderstood anything about the reactive armor prosess)

Why is STRV 122 never brought up in a comparison as its in some areas is considered better then the Leopard 2A6 (the more powerfull engine and the tubing, ie the gun, is what the STRV 122 dont have that the A6 has.)

What do you think of this tank?

I'll submit some info about it tomorrow.
October 14th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

So are you saying its a reverse engineered Leopard 2 with some Swedish tweaking? If that's the case, then its not really a Swedish concept. Just a copy of sorts. But please correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

One dilema with most Swedish equipment is that it just doesn't get the press coverage that other nations do. Sweden could come up with the very best of any single piece of hardware, and the world would largely be oblivious.
October 14th, 2004  
Doppleganger

Isn't it just a Leo 2 built under license using some Swedish parts and specs?

You're right though. I hear it is the most advanced tank of the Leo family if I'm correct in understanding your post. And in that case it's a helluva tank.
--
October 14th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Yeah, when India goes to make their own tank, who do they copy largely? The Leo. Great tank design.
October 14th, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

The Strv-122 is the most advanced Leopard design, despite the lack of a L55 gun. It has the Tank Command Control System, the Galix protection system, and improved top armor.

The Strv-122 doesn't have explosive reactive armor, it has a NERA, which how it works I have no idea.
October 14th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

How does it's FCS stack up to the Abrams? Just curious.
October 15th, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
How does it's FCS stack up to the Abrams? Just curious.
If it's the same as the Leopard, it's easier to use. I don't know about the performence.
October 15th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Leopard and Abrams weren't using the same Fire Control System last I heard.
October 15th, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Leopard and Abrams weren't using the same Fire Control System last I heard.
I know, I meant if the Strv-122 uses the same one as the Leopard, it's easier to use then the Abrams'
October 15th, 2004  
AlexKall

Quote:
So are you saying its a reverse engineered Leopard 2 with some Swedish tweaking? If that's the case, then its not really a Swedish concept. Just a copy of sorts. But please correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

One dilema with most Swedish equipment is that it just doesn't get the press coverage that other nations do. Sweden could come up with the very best of any single piece of hardware, and the world would largely be oblivious.
Swedish tank as in used by Sweden, owned by Sweden and made for/by Sweden. The German company made the tank with help from Swedish companys, as how i understood it.

It uses another FCS then the German Leopard 2, STRV 122 got a Swedish built FCS by a company called CELSIUS Tech, its said to be more advanced and better then the german one. I can try to ask a friend of mine about the FCS system. I dont know if he knows that much about the FCS but he do know alot about comunication between the tanks, so he might know some bits of the FCS as his work is linked to the FCS. As most information is classified, and he's not allowed to say much about it, i doubt that i will get much information, if any. But its woth a try.
Or am i mixing this up with the TCC System? Might be
Now when i read it might actually be the TCC system thats made and developed by Celsius Tech, although they do make FC Systems. And i think i read somewhere about the new FC System. Might have mixed those up thought. I'll try to see if i can get some info about that aswell.

I read somewhere that it got reactive, im probebly wrong about that point though. Dont know that much about it as 90% (estimation) is basicly classified.

But yes its correct that its a German tank made for our climate and needs. Although some Swedish modifications are present such as the FCS system and some other things. The drivers Optics are different aswell, dont know about the gunners optics however.

EDIT: I just read some info about the STRV 122 and aparently its the TCCS thats new and manufactured by CELSIUS Tech.