The tank graveyard: German depot that has dismantled more than 15,000 armoured vehicl

MAD

Banned
Original post: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...moured-vehicles-Europe-countries-strip-milita

The tank graveyard: German depot that hasdismantled more than 15,000 armoured vehicles built for the Cold War but nowsit waiting to be stripped and melted down
With conflict in European soil in east Ukraine,Russiaallegedly massing her forces at the border, it may seem odd that many of thecontinent's nations are actually dismantling their armed forces.
These pictures show dozens of Marder lighttanks that once belonged to the West German army's mechanised infantry, waitingin the yard of Battle Tank Dismantling GmbH in Edeleben, Germany.
Since the early 1990s the company hasdismantled over 15,000 tanks and other armoured vehicles, from German,Austrian, French and other European arsenals. They are complying with Treaty onConventional Armed Forces in Europe, anagreement from the final years of the Cold War which placed limits on key typesof military equipment.
But critics say that with the end of theCold War and the shifts in the balance of power in Eastern Europe, the terms of the treaty are out of date. Russia in 2007 refused to meet its treatyobligations out of anger at the westwards expansion of Nato and plans to bases U.S. ballistic missile defences in Poland.

article-2612347-1D517BC900000578-225_964x639.jpg

article-2612347-1D517AB100000578-926_964x640.jpg

article-2612347-1D5179FE00000578-653_964x638.jpg

article-2612347-1D51797400000578-328_964x640.jpg

article-2612347-1D51792A00000578-140_964x638.jpg

article-2612347-1D51755200000578-14_964x641.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed and I would like one although I would prefer the Boxer.

What are the things under the tarpaulins though as they seem to be sporting a fairly large caliber gun and the turrets look oddly square.

When my dad was in France after D Day, he mentioned that there were farmers fields packed with German vehicles of all types, tracked and wheeled. Some were basically scrap, while a lot were perfectly serviceable.

Someone must have made a small fortune.

Indeed and I would like one although I would prefer the Boxer.

What are the things under the tarpaulins though as they seem to be sporting a fairly large caliber gun and the turrets look oddly square.

At first glance I thought to covered vehicles you are talking about were Geopard SPAA's with their guns and radar removed. However, the shape was still wrong.

Then it dawned upon me. They are training vehicles or Fahrschulpanzer Leopard 1 to use the correct term. Leopard 1's with the turret replaced by a driving platform. The shape appears to match.

Leodvr01.jpg

I think you have nailed it, it certainly looks to have the more rounded Leopard 1 hull as well.

When my dad was in France after D Day, he mentioned that there were farmers fields packed with German vehicles of all types, tracked and wheeled. Some were basically scrap, while a lot were perfectly serviceable.

Was this around the battle for the Falaise pocket? The Germans left countless thousands of vehicles there of all types as they tried to escape the encirclement. This closing battle of the Normandy campaign was a resounding allied victory after ~ 2 months of slogging it out against a well trained, entrenched enemy. The allies more than evened the score at Falaise.

Was this around the battle for the Falaise pocket? The Germans left countless thousands of vehicles there of all types as they tried to escape the encirclement. This closing battle of the Normandy campaign was a resounding allied victory after ~ 2 months of slogging it out against a well trained, entrenched enemy. The allies more than evened the score at Falaise.

He didn't arrive in France until quite a while after D Day, the fighting had moved inland by then. His job was to pick up German POW's then transport them to POW camps as well as other logistic tasks.

One German prisoner remarked in perfect English ""One day we will be allies against the Russians, you wait and see."" My dad replied, ""Dunno about that mate, but lets get this war over with first."

He wasn't far wrong.

My father was 5 years old when the war ended. He, his mother and his sister (his father was already a 'guest' of the Russian's, having been captured on the Western Front) moved West from Kiel in an attempt to find refuge in an area controlled by the French, British or American's.

One of this enduring memories was the sheer amount of German military equipment that had simply been abandoned by the road side due to a lack of fuel, spare parts or motivation by its crew.

In one small town where they stayed there was a Kegelbahn (small bowling alley for want of a better word) attached to a small hotel/restaurant. Where the pins where normally located someone had filled the entire area in with sand for form range butts. At the other end where a number of MG-34's and MG-42's, some with ammunition.

They had stumbled upon a make shift firing range, also abandoned.

The Germans had / have a knack for losing Wars but now with their new secret weapon Merkles face they might win one .

My father was 5 years old when the war ended. He, his mother and his sister (his father was already a 'guest' of the Russian's, having been captured on the Western Front) moved West from Kiel in an attempt to find refuge in an area controlled by the French, British or American's.

One of this enduring memories was the sheer amount of German military equipment that had simply been abandoned by the road side due to a lack of fuel, spare parts or motivation by its crew.

In one small town where they stayed there was a Kegelbahn (small bowling alley for want of a better word) attached to a small hotel/restaurant. Where the pins where normally located someone had filled the entire area in with sand for form range butts. At the other end where a number of MG-34's and MG-42's, some with ammunition.

They had stumbled upon a make shift firing range, also abandoned.

When I was in Germany on exercise around 1980 I met a chap who was on the Eastern Front, his story of the conditions were horrific.

Pardon your French! Those aren't Marder APC's either, but rather Marder 1A3 IFV's, fitted out with a RH202 20mm Autocannon and (possible?) a Milan F3 (or F2 :p)

I've actually been inside one during joint training exersizes with our sister Bundeswehr units. Pretty tight. You'll have to excuse me, as being an ex-tanker, all PC's look alike to me...LOL

I've actually been inside one during joint training exersizes with our sister Bundeswehr units. Pretty tight. You'll have to excuse me, as being an ex-tanker, all PC's look alike to me...LOL
Don't worry about it, being a teenager with some (probably too much) leisure time, I have hours of the day to distinguish and study small details like that :-3, besides, you still have light-years better identification then this one chap at my school who attempted to convince me that the '113 was actually a tank.:?

He shouldn't have went to Russia , Hitler shouldn't have gone to Russia , what Hitler's plan was is beyond me , how far east did he intend to go ? and what did he intend to do once he got there .

He shouldn't have went to Russia , Hitler shouldn't have gone to Russia , what Hitler's plan was is beyond me , how far east did he intend to go ? and what did he intend to do once he got there .

Freeze to death..... And Oil Fields.

No Oil fields at Stalingrad or Leningrad only Freeze and Death .

You said what did he want to achieve by going and east:

Hence out there to the direct northeast over the Urals is icy tundra and permafrost.

To the southeast past Stalingrad you have access to at the time a major natural oil deposit then feeding the Soviet Union.

Back