Tank engines: Diesel vs. Gas Turbine

Lunatik

Found an old but interesting article on this: http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/archive/2000/April/Pages/Engine4375.aspx

Both powerplant types seem to have advantages and disadvantages. In your opinion, and in a nutshell, which type has the edge and why? If you were in charge of your country's tank modernization program or an engineer designing a new tank, what type of engine would you put in it?

tank_engine_front_view.jpg

That of an M-60?

Found an old but interesting article on this: http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/archive/2000/April/Pages/Engine4375.aspx

Both powerplant types seem to have advantages and disadvantages. In your opinion, and in a nutshell, which type has the edge and why? If you were in charge of your country's tank modernization program or an engineer designing a new tank, what type of engine would you put in it?

tank_engine_front_view.jpg

That of an M-60?

Yes that is a M60 series tank power pack, What I like about gas turbines the most is that there is no smoke signature after start up which could be a life saver in combat. Bloody thirsty though, takes up to five gallons of fuel to fully startup a M1 series.

Yeah but only if they got better mileage.
I guess it might be different in America's case but for many other countries, once the war kicks off, supplies are going to be hard to get. Fuel economy can make a huge difference.
If anything happens over here, I'm not expecting supplies at all. Not that it's what the experts predict, but that's what Murphy's law tells me. The convoy that gets ambushed and wiped out will be the one with my supplies in it.

So, diesel engines tend to have better mileage? How do they compare with gas turbines in terms of power generated per cc?

Yes that is a M60 series tank power pack, What I like about gas turbines the most is that there is no smoke signature after start up which could be a life saver in combat. Bloody thirsty though, takes up to five gallons of fuel to fully startup a M1 series.

It's more like 11 gallons from pressing the start button to having the engine ready to use on an M1. The US Army started putting APU's (Aux Power Unit) on the back of tanks to run the electronics while you are sitting in a fighting position. It puts out a lot less heat and uses a lot less fuel, otherwise the tank would have to restart the engine about every 10 - 15 minutes and run for about 20 to recharge.

It's difficult to determine the displacement on a turbine. The best comparison would have to be with HP. In terms of efficiency, Diesels win, in terms of power, turbines win.

If I were in charge I would use the turbine. This gives you a significant cushion in terms of reserve power. From the front an M1 series tank is much quieter than an M60.

It also doubles as a field heater, MRE heater and clothes dryer.

The problem with Gas is one good hit in the Fuel Cell and you have got an instant BBQ. This was espicially true in WWII of the M4 Sherman, And we have lost several Abrams the same way.

It's more like 11 gallons from pressing the start button to having the engine ready to use on an M1. The US Army started putting APU's (Aux Power Unit) on the back of tanks to run the electronics while you are sitting in a fighting position. It puts out a lot less heat and uses a lot less fuel, otherwise the tank would have to restart the engine about every 10 - 15 minutes and run for about 20 to recharge.

It's difficult to determine the displacement on a turbine. The best comparison would have to be with HP. In terms of efficiency, Diesels win, in terms of power, turbines win.

If I were in charge I would use the turbine. This gives you a significant cushion in terms of reserve power. From the front an M1 series tank is much quieter than an M60.

It also doubles as a field heater, MRE heater and clothes dryer.

That is still a whole lotta fuel, have to agree with you on alot that you have just stated, also the technology is there to make a more fuel mizing turbine and hopefully we will see something soon.

Back