Tank Armour

--

February 18th, 2005  
Dingo

Topic: Tank Armour

What is the most affective tank armour used today? Which tanks use it?
February 18th, 2005  
jimmyboy

i suppose it would be ERA armour (Explosive Reactive armor) i'm not sure who uses it but i think the new merkava does.
February 18th, 2005  
Dingo

I don't know that much about the armour used, which is why I started this, but I think chobham armour is the strongest armour and is used in tanks such as the M1A1 Abrams and the Challenger 2. Does anyone know any more about this?
--
February 19th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Chobham is probably and basically just ceramic and steel sandwiched together in blocks. The ceramics and steel provide excellent protection against HEAT type weapons and good protection against KE type weapons. The ceramics chemical "loose" chemical structure makes HEAT jets flow around it, stopping them more efficiently then steel. It was developed by the British and is on their Challenger tanks, it was given to the Americans and is on the Abrams tanks. The Leopard and Leclerc use their own versions of it.

Explosive Reactive Armor is plastic explosives surrounded by two metal plates. When a HEAT type weapon penetrates this, the explosive detonates and the plate disrupts the HEAt jet. Kontakt-5 is also effective against KE rounds by having a heavier plate. The Israelis developed it with their Blazer armor (placed on old M60 upgrades, NOT on the Merkava). The Russians really got into it with them trying to put it on all their tanks. Kontakt-5 ERA gives about 200mm of KE and 600mm of CE protection per plate, so it's a really effective supplemental armor, not a good protection to be depended on by itself.
February 19th, 2005  
AlexKall

Leopard armor as I understand it is Steel, Titanium and cheramics layered in several sections. As of what I've heared. Just speculation as all armour types are top secret
February 19th, 2005  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
Leopard armor as I understand it is Steel, Titanium and cheramics layered in several sections. As of what I've heared. Just speculation as all armour types are top secret
I don't see why they'd put titanium in. There are much better armor materials for not much more weight.
February 19th, 2005  
Shadowalker

titaniums got the same strength as steel but is 45% lighter! Its also has a high tensile strength, is light weight, very corrosion resistant, and has an ability to withstand extreme temperatures! thats probably why they use titanium!
February 20th, 2005  
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowalker
titaniums got the same strength as steel but is 45% lighter! Its also has a high tensile strength, is light weight, very corrosion resistant, and has an ability to withstand extreme temperatures! thats probably why they use titanium!
Might be a few reaons
February 21st, 2005  
Dingo

I heard that some armour use Uranium, is this true?
February 21st, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo
I heard that some armour use Uranium, is this true?
Not if you want your crew to survive.

Some projectiles use depleted uranium, though.