Talented German commanders.

Der Alte

Banned
Who in your opinion were the most talented commanders in the German armed forces during World War II

Remember this is no competition. I just want to know who you admire or respect and why.

I personally think that Erich von Manstein was our greatest strategist. He was a master of strategic planning, operational command, and tactical boldness. A master of maneuver warfare in the context of modern technology.

Also I think that Hermann Balck has strong claims to be regarded as our finest field commander. There was no single characteristic that made Balck such an outstanding combat leader. What really made him great in the end was a consistent ability to assess a situation almost instantly, decide what had to be done, and then carry it out. In any specific situation Balck almost always did what would have been expected of a typical well-trained and experienced German senior officer—and he always did it consistently and unwaveringly, time after time. He never lost his nerve and he almost never made a tactical mistake. He was always one step ahead of his enemy, even in the relatively few situations when he was initially taken by surprise.

In December 1942 Hermann Balck wiped out a force ten times his size in the most brilliantly fought divisional battle in modern military history when in three short weeks his lone 11th Panzer Division virtually destroyed the entire Soviet Fifth Tank Army.

German commanders is not my speciality but I like Michael Wittman

although not a high ranking commander he scared the hell out off his opponents and had a very high fighting spirit. Fortunately for the allies, the Germans didn't have many of his caliber. He knew how to handle his tanks.

SS-Hauptsturmführer Michael Wittmann was to leave behind a legacy that no-one is ever likely to match. It must be remembered here that his initial tank kills were achieved while he was commander of a Sturmgeschütz III; one cannot begin to imagine what his final score might have been had the Tiger been developed earlier during the war.

Adolf Galland was an outstanding pilot and a gentleman. Standford Tuck and Galland became good friends after the war.

To the indignation of a lot of people,but, Jodl was not the stupid one,the post war legend had made him .

SS-Hauptsturmführer Michael Wittmann was to leave behind a legacy that no-one is ever likely to match. It must be remembered here that his initial tank kills were achieved while he was commander of a Sturmgeschütz III; one cannot begin to imagine what his final score might have been had the Tiger been developed earlier during the war.
Hm,I still have my doubts that it was a wise decision of Germany,to have produced the Tiger .

The trouble with the Tiger Tank and many other German vehicles was that they were good but over engineered. The Russian had learnt the need to keep things going is to use many of the same engines in lorries as they did in tanks and Allied Vehicles used many of the same parts in other vehiciles and they could be interchanged as and where necessary to keep the vehicles that you needed running and much of this could be done in field just behind the front.

Who in your opinion were the most talented commanders in the German armed forces during World War II

Remember this is no competition. I just want to know who you admire or respect and why.

I personally think that Erich von Manstein was our greatest strategist. He was a master of strategic planning, operational command, and tactical boldness. A master of maneuver warfare in the context of modern technology.

I wont argue with Manstein but I would like to give an honorable mention to two others that probably will not be mentioned otherwise.

1. Hermann Hoth the job he did with the 4th Panzer Army at Kursk and in the attempt to relieve the 6th Army at Stalingrad was incredible given the conditions.

2. Gotthard Heinrici, I think he was a very competent defensive commander as shown outside Moscow (41/42) and at Seelow Heights (45).

The trouble with the Tiger Tank and many other German vehicles was that they were good but over engineered. The Russian had learnt the need to keep things going is to use many of the same engines in lorries as they did in tanks and Allied Vehicles used many of the same parts in other vehiciles and they could be interchanged as and where necessary to keep the vehicles that you needed running and much of this could be done in field just behind the front.
I doubt the wisdom for the Germans of producing in 1943 and the PzIV,and the Panther,and the Tiger (and more than 10 variants of those).The point also is than only few Tigers were produced (only 130 were present in Normandy) and that only a small % was operational .

I think you have seen to much "the battle of Britain":cool:

I've seen that movie but it's a long time ago. But here you can find this : to which Galland replied "Then give me a squadron of Spitfires".

another link here :
As for Galland's quote on 'give me spitfires...', either I got it from the book cited earlier in this thread 'The First and the Last' or my father, who met Galland on several occasions on business (after the war of course :), told me he said it.

1)From Great Aviation Myths:
in his book,Galland said:it was not really meant that way,I preferred the Me 109.
Previously,Galland had had a collision with Goering,who accused the fighters of being a bunch of machos,who only were looking for medals and did not care about the bombers .Galland was pissed.(IMHO,Goering was not totally wrong)
2)From WWII Aviation Mythbusters P4:
Galland said :I should like an outfit of Spitfires for my squadron .

Gotthard Heinrici, der Giftzwerg. He had Jewish blood on his mother's side. On his father's side his military lineage harkened back to the 12th century.
He was the master of defence.

Last edited:
I can't really say if he was truly "gifted" as a commander, but my Father in Law who fought in the Western Desert said that Allied troops had a great respect for Erwin Rommel.

The little that I have read seems to indicate that he was perhaps viewed by his peers, as more "popular" than "great". Never the less I feel that he is certainly worthy of mention.

Last edited:
Rommel I have had trouble with as he is one of those leaders that we grew up with along with the fable of the Desert Fox but a lot of what I read about him gives me the impression he was more rash and impulsive than intuitive and to some degree think von Arnim may have done a better job in North Africa.

That being said I believe his time in North Africa taught him about allied air superiority and agreed completely with his views about the defence of France in that the allies had to be defeated on the beaches therefore the Panzer reserve needed to be closer to the beach heads.

In the end his reputation was maintained through his involvement with the July bomb plot and there is no doubt that he gained a lot of respect from the 8th Army in the desert.

I can't really say if he was truly "gifted" as a commander, but my Father in Law who fought in the Western Desert said that Allied troops had a great respect for Erwin Rommel.

The little that I have read seems to indicate that he was perhaps viewed by his peers, as more "popular" than "great". Never the less I feel that he is certainly worthy of mention.

My uncle Charlie who was in the LRDG had a lot of respect for Rommel, Rommel treated POW's with honour, congratulating them for putting up a good fight.

On top of that, he was a true "Gentleman."

How about Hasso von Manteuffel, another very good defensive commander played a major role in helping von Arnim hold up the Allies in North Africa against fairly impressive odds and did the same on the Eastern Front and for a while commanded the Großdeutschland which many people consider the finest German fighting formation of the war.

Yes, Manteuffel was a very gifted general both offensively (under Hoth in Barbarossa)and defensively late in the war.

Although Rommel is very admired and popular, one cannot help to wonder if he could not have been much more successful isolating Tobruk and advancing into Egypt when the British were on the run, instead of wasting 240 days and 8,000 men trying unsuccessfully to capture Tobruk. The British received a lot of supplies and troops in NA during this time. By the way, during this long time of high losses with no success he was extremely unpopular among his officers.

The problem is that Tobruk was one of the few ports and access to it would have reduced his logistics problems quite considerably.

Back