Talented German commanders.




 
--
 
December 27th, 2011  
Der Alte
 

Topic: Talented German commanders.


Who in your opinion were the most talented commanders in the German armed forces during World War II

Remember this is no competition. I just want to know who you admire or respect and why.

I personally think that Erich von Manstein was our greatest strategist. He was a master of strategic planning, operational command, and tactical boldness. A master of maneuver warfare in the context of modern technology.

Also I think that Hermann Balck has strong claims to be regarded as our finest field commander. There was no single characteristic that made Balck such an outstanding combat leader. What really made him great in the end was a consistent ability to assess a situation almost instantly, decide what had to be done, and then carry it out. In any specific situation Balck almost always did what would have been expected of a typical well-trained and experienced German senior officer—and he always did it consistently and unwaveringly, time after time. He never lost his nerve and he almost never made a tactical mistake. He was always one step ahead of his enemy, even in the relatively few situations when he was initially taken by surprise.

In December 1942 Hermann Balck wiped out a force ten times his size in the most brilliantly fought divisional battle in modern military history when in three short weeks his lone 11th Panzer Division virtually destroyed the entire Soviet Fifth Tank Army.
December 27th, 2011  
VDKMS
 
German commanders is not my speciality but I like Michael Wittman

although not a high ranking commander he scared the hell out off his opponents and had a very high fighting spirit. Fortunately for the allies, the Germans didn't have many of his caliber. He knew how to handle his tanks.
December 27th, 2011  
Der Alte
 
SS-Hauptsturmführer Michael Wittmann was to leave behind a legacy that no-one is ever likely to match. It must be remembered here that his initial tank kills were achieved while he was commander of a Sturmgeschütz III; one cannot begin to imagine what his final score might have been had the Tiger been developed earlier during the war.
--
December 27th, 2011  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Adolf Galland was an outstanding pilot and a gentleman. Standford Tuck and Galland became good friends after the war.
December 27th, 2011  
lljadw
 
To the indignation of a lot of people,but, Jodl was not the stupid one,the post war legend had made him .
December 27th, 2011  
lljadw
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Alte
SS-Hauptsturmführer Michael Wittmann was to leave behind a legacy that no-one is ever likely to match. It must be remembered here that his initial tank kills were achieved while he was commander of a Sturmgeschütz III; one cannot begin to imagine what his final score might have been had the Tiger been developed earlier during the war.
Hm,I still have my doubts that it was a wise decision of Germany,to have produced the Tiger .
December 27th, 2011  
LeEnfield
 
 
The trouble with the Tiger Tank and many other German vehicles was that they were good but over engineered. The Russian had learnt the need to keep things going is to use many of the same engines in lorries as they did in tanks and Allied Vehicles used many of the same parts in other vehiciles and they could be interchanged as and where necessary to keep the vehicles that you needed running and much of this could be done in field just behind the front.
December 27th, 2011  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Alte
Who in your opinion were the most talented commanders in the German armed forces during World War II

Remember this is no competition. I just want to know who you admire or respect and why.

I personally think that Erich von Manstein was our greatest strategist. He was a master of strategic planning, operational command, and tactical boldness. A master of maneuver warfare in the context of modern technology.
I wont argue with Manstein but I would like to give an honorable mention to two others that probably will not be mentioned otherwise.

1. Hermann Hoth the job he did with the 4th Panzer Army at Kursk and in the attempt to relieve the 6th Army at Stalingrad was incredible given the conditions.

2. Gotthard Heinrici, I think he was a very competent defensive commander as shown outside Moscow (41/42) and at Seelow Heights (45).
December 27th, 2011  
VDKMS
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Adolf Galland was an outstanding pilot and a gentleman. Standford Tuck and Galland became good friends after the war.
With his famous line (if I'm not mistaken) : Give us Spitfires!
December 27th, 2011  
lljadw
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
The trouble with the Tiger Tank and many other German vehicles was that they were good but over engineered. The Russian had learnt the need to keep things going is to use many of the same engines in lorries as they did in tanks and Allied Vehicles used many of the same parts in other vehiciles and they could be interchanged as and where necessary to keep the vehicles that you needed running and much of this could be done in field just behind the front.
I doubt the wisdom for the Germans of producing in 1943 and the PzIV,and the Panther,and the Tiger (and more than 10 variants of those).The point also is than only few Tigers were produced (only 130 were present in Normandy) and that only a small % was operational .
 


Similar Topics
The Greatest, and not so Greatest, Commanders of History
"Tommy's Dictionary Of The Trenches" WWI
Germany the guardian of peace
Favorite Battle?
Funny Fact