Talented German commanders.

questions answered

1)He did not prevent another Stalingrad

2)Hitler did not insist on Citadelle,but the OKH (Zeitzler)

3) Kursk was not lost by a small margin : the Germans had asmuch chance to win Citadelle,as the former governor of Alaska has to become president of the US.

4)When did he overcome the Russians with less forces ?

5)Manstein as a major consultant for Nato ? :eek:

1)He did not prevent another Stalingrad
Of course he did. After Stalingrad Germany’s Caucasus army's were in danger of being cutoff and trapped as the Russian winter offensive approached Rostov. These narrows were kept open by Manstein with a much smaller force until the southern German armies could join Army Group South > 300,000 men were saved as a result of these actions.

2)Hitler did not insist on Citadelle,but the OKH (Zeitzler).

Hitler certainly approved and was responsible for the delays that allowed the Reds to dig in so deep. Manstein told Hitler that if they were to attack Kurst to do so much sooner before all initiative was lost.

3) Kursk was not lost by a small margin : the Germans hand was responsible ad as much chance to win Citadelle,as the former governor of Alaska has to become president of the US.

In the southern part of the battle which was headed up by Manstein he broke thru the defensive lines and the reds were on the run. Zhukov had to call up the reserves led by Rotmistrov which he had hoped to avoid using to stem the tide.

4)When did he overcome the Russians with less forces ?

During the last major German victory on the Eastern front, the victory at Kharkov and Belgorod, at which time the Red had a >2:1 advantage in numbers. For one instance. Also His mobile defense strategies’ delayed the war's end by months.

5)Manstein as a major consultant for Nato ?

Yes in the early 50’s, after his 4 year prison sentence. Reason to provide guidance on mobile defense.

5)Manstein as a major consultant for Nato ?[/FONT][/COLOR]
Yes in the early 50’s, after his 4 year prison sentence. Reason to provide guidance on mobile defense.

I don't recall Erich von Manstein ever being an adviser to NATO he advised the West German government on the organization of the newly formed Bundeswehr as did a number of ex-Wehrmacht commanders.

Hans Speidel is the only WW2 German General I can think of that went on to become Commander-in-Chief of the NATO ground forces in Central Europe from 1957 to 1963

Manstein: Amazon.de: Mungo Melvin: Englische Bücher

www.amazon.deFremdsprachige BücherBelletristikhttps://www.google.ca/search?as_q="...any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=#

The story of the military genius Field Marshal Erich von Manstein chronicles the .... Sentenced to 18 years, he was released after three and advised NATO on the ..... career as an author and consultant to the new West German Bundeswehr.

Who is the greatest military commander of WW2? - Timawa.net

www.timawa.net › ... › General DiscussionStrategy and Tactics
Mar 29, 2013 - 15 posts - ‎6 authors
After the war, he became a consultant for NATO on how to counter the massive ... Land=Erich Von Manstein, Wehrmact General=a good land ...

This is not my original source since it's not available to me. I read these thing and but them down. Not needing to build up the worlds largest library on WW2. Also a military channel program mentions this as well, it was a show that that that highlighted different events that were thought to be near impossible, in Mansteins case saving army group A, ~ 300,000 men.

I am sorry but I think that is a mistake, Manstein clearly advised the German government on the formation of the German Army as there are plenty of sources which talk about his impact on the length of conscription and that he is responsible for the formation of the German military reserve but nothing that he advised NATO.

I will go through Lost Victories tonight and check, if it is going to be anywhere it would be in his memoirs.

I am sorry but I think that is a mistake, Manstein clearly advised the German government on the formation of the German Army as there are plenty of sources which talk about his impact on the length of conscription and that he is responsible for the formation of the German military reserve but nothing that he advised NATO.

I will go through Lost Victories tonight and check, if it is going to be anywhere it would be in his memoirs.

I could be wrong, I don't have the text with me?

Back