A tale of 2 military's...

Radwan

Is it possible if your a dual citizen to be in two military's? Not at once, obviously. But as in, is it possible to be able to join both at seperate times?

Like, I join the American military for 4 years. Then leave, go to Lebanon. Join their military for 4 years. Is that possible?

-Echo

Dual citizenship was nullified by the US State department more than a few years ago. It is no longer recognized by the United States, you gotta choose one or the other these days. Kinda renders the question, in this form, moot.

Sheesh, my dad never told me that.

So how's he still a dual citizen then?

Hrm... I'll check in on that...

So what country does that mean I'm in allegiance with?

LOL, I have a lot of things to check up on...

Most people I know who hold two passports are feigning ignorance... dont ask dont tell. If the US State Department finds out you hold both they will make you choose.

Actually that is only the case if you are a naturalised US-cit. If you are a Dual by birth then you are entitled to keep both. I know you can do what your thinking with the US to UK AND vice versa armys. Your issue will be with the second army you are joining.

This should clear up your Dual Cit questions.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Dual Cit doesnt stop you from getting a security clearance in many cases even. I have researched this quite in-depth due to my dual cit.

Also couple months ago when I passed through passport control I handed over both of my passports and nothing was said.

Last edited:
konic said:
Actually that is only the case if you are a naturalised US-cit. If you are a Dual by birth then you are entitled to keep both. I know you can do what your thinking with the US to UK AND vice versa armys. Your issue will be with the second army you are joining.

This should clear up your Dual Cit questions.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

Dual Cit doesnt stop you from getting a security clearance in many cases even. I have researched this quite in-depth due to my dual cit.

Also couple months ago when I passed through passport control I handed over both of my passports and nothing was said.

Actually, dual citizenship is a no go for a lot of clearances. You won't even get passed the form for Top Secret, and even with secret it's pretty touch and go. We don't take anyone with dual citizenship, and no one I work with (SOF) is allowed to have it.

Anything below a secret clearance is pretty much a simple background check anyway, it's not really a clearance.

Back