Taking Suggestions?

The Other Guy

Spam King
Put the welcome/introduction thread at the top of the page where people will actually see it.

I've noticed an increasing number of new members not going there and posting first, and I actually didn't notice it buried at the bottom of the page myself when I first joined.

Just an idea...

Or, make it louder, show up brighter somehow. Moving I don't think is necessary just make it stick out and smack ya upside the head better.

All new members receives a welcoming PM that includes, amongst other things, a link to and an encouragement to post in the welcoming center..
I dont think it´s possible to make it any more clearer than that.. :smil:

Sample:
Thanks for registering at International Military Forums!
We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Why not make your first post in our "Welcoming center"??
You don't need to write much, but an intro is always appreciated.
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/welcoming-center-please-introduce-yourself-47/

Please post any questions/suggestions you may have in here, and we'll try to answer you as soon as possible.
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/questions-forum-suggestion-box-25/

Please review the forum rules before posting.
We have members from many cultures and countries all over the world, so please respect the other members and the forum rules.
The rules have been created to give you all a best possible experience in our forums.
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/faq.php

Looking forward to seeing you online.

All the best,
International Military Forums

Here's a quick link to the forum by the way:
www.milforum.com

All new members receives a welcoming PM that includes, amongst other things, a link to and an encouragement to post in the welcoming center..
I dont think it´s possible to make it any more clearer than that.. :smil:

I recall getting that message. IMO if you can't follow orders and report in properly then you go on working party. I heard Top has alot of rocks that need painting and sand that needs to raked.:army:

Hhahahahaha.
I don't recall getting the message but I think I found the place I was suppose to post within my first 5 posts.

Suggestion to the Mods,

Start a work out theread, here is why there are a lot of young folks here how have bought into the myth that you should train your body to pass the PFT or even max it out. Whoopdeedoo you might get a 300 PFT but can't heaft 105 shells all day what good are you. We have a Chief on base she runs martathons but she looks fat, hell if she can compelete a marathon she is in much better shape than most people. The PFT is not a true test of your ability to last in combat.

below is the USMC Functional Fitness Concept btw very similar to the Speznas fitness program.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/USMCFunctionalFitnessConcept.pdf

Last edited:
True enough but neither is carrying 105 rounds.

Additionally, I don't think it's a terrible thing for these folks thinking of going in the military to be training, PT or whatever else they do to try to get ready for what they want to do. I'd rather them do that than hang out with gang bangers and use drugs. I could think of a lot worse crap they could be doing. I say let them train, sweat is good for them.

Last edited:
True enough but neither is carrying 105 rounds.

Additionally, I don't think it's a terrible thing for these folks thinking of going in the military to be training, PT or whatever else they do to try to get ready for what they want to do. I'd rather them do that than hang out with gang bangers and use drugs. I could think of a lot worse crap they could be doing. I say let them train, sweat is good for them.

Any PT is better than none, who said anything about gang bangers? I assume the cadets here or young people considering the military are of much better than that. I was only trying to get the young folks who may be in JROTC or what ever to look at modern PT concepts and not get so rapped around the axle that their personal PT time is devoted souly to getting a good score on the PFT. The USMC did not come out with this new concept because the training for the PFT was good enough.

Let me give you a quick experiance I had a few months ago, my son is a CAP Cadet and they meet at our local NG Armory. Well one day he was working out with some of the soldiers there before his meeting. He mentioned the physical conditing methods we use (check out Crossfit.com) any way I stopped by the Armory on my way home and there were some very strong looking soldiers in the place I am 45 years old and my son is 16 we smoked them and we were not even trying that hard.

True story with limited exaduration. My son is starting to turn to the dark side and becomeing a bit metrosexual that is not all bad he does understand core strength, another thing he has the CAP JROTC record on the base obstical course.

Another story, on my first ship we had a fire suppression system that was 3 decks down, in the forward part of the ship. This system had 6 150 pound CO2 bottles (150 is the weight of the CO2 inside not counting the steel bottle) me and another guy were tasked with hauling these full bottles out of the ship and installing the new bottles.

I asked our ship board metrosexual body builders to help and the refuesed so me and that other E-3 hauled those bottles out, so the two of us got the new ones in before lunch. BTW each bottle looks like a welding Oxygen bottle wieghs about 250 or dead weight with no hanldes just a long round cylinder. there was the danger of dropping the bottle and having a missile hazard if the valve had been damaged (of course we had the safety cap on but the danger still exists) Today this kind of work is to dangerous and we hire contractors to do it.

Moral of the story is the two functionally fit Coasties got the job done. :cheers: Our Chief was so impressed he bought us a few rounds at Club 14 (the Enlisted Club on base) after work :cheers:

I mentioned one of my Chiefs, she is competitive in her age group in marathons and long distiance cycling but she looks heavy. The metorboys in the NG gym looked like all buff, but could not keep up with an old man and a kid.

One quick last story in my Tae Kwon Do class I had to spar with this big convict looking guy he is much bigger than I am this guy spent more than a few years in Angola (the prison not the country) and was a boxer while in the slammer. Granted we used sparring equipment I was very happy that my physical conditioning program allowed me to punch and kick with sufficeint force that I could esculate my impacts on him to match his escuation on me.

Here is another example of functional fitness we had a barrel of hazardous waste and the forklift broke there were about six civilian contractors standing around looking at it this drum had to be lifted onto a continment pallet so they had to lift it about 9 inches then place it on the pallet. I put that drum up there while they stood around with their fingers in their mouths (truth on that one was that the barrel was not as full as they said it was),

Here is a quote for you
Sweat saves Blood
Erwin Rommel

I am not sure what some of those stories have to do with rugrats thinking of going in the military and PTing to get ready for their future, but ok, fine, you posted it and it's interesting (shall we say?). What you may be referring to is also intestinal fortitude, some folks just don't have very much perhaps. Although, as people age, they change. I think one of the biggest mistakes we make on recruits/boots/newbies is expecting too much from them too fast sometimes. Granted, some folks are awesome from day one but some take awhile to get there. IMHO, this doesn't make them any less valuable.

Back