Taking ASVAB today.

Toyuzu

I'm going to San Jose today for the ASVAB, and I'll be taking my physical tomorrow. I'll have to wait for two or three weeks to find out if I am accepted, due to a dependency waiver. (I have three kids.)

The recruiter told me they rarely deny a dependency waiver though. If all goes well, I could be starting basic training as soon as October. Wish me luck! 8)

Okay, test is done. AFQT 89.

Tomorrow is the physical, then I'll meet with my recruiter to discuss which MOS's I'm qualified for.

you are qualified for any, i got an AFQT of 88 and when i asked my recruiter what i can do he said pick anything you want to do. i dont think you have anything to worry about :)

Yea, good luck on that, but be careful. I am active duty at Fort Hood and I have noticed that they push loads of people through to get numbers in. Then you get to your duty station and they deploy you almost right away. So they bring up the issue of a FCP (Family Care Plan) meaning that if you don't have some sort of plan to take care of your kids, they kick you out. In the last year, my unit has kicked out 8 people for not having a FCP that would allow them to place their kids with family members in as little as one month.

Thanks for the tip on the Family care plan. The physical went well, too. my profile is all 1's. I was a bit concerned about the hearing test since I've fired my Romanian M-44 few too many times without ear plugs, but for now my hearing is fine.

Now I just have to wait for the dependency waiver to be approved and then meet with a counselor at MEPS to choose my MOS and get a ship date.

highest score is a 99, but its broken down into 4 different categories that i dont know what they are specifically

MilidarUSMC said:
highest score is a 99, but its broken down into 4 different categories that i dont know what they are specifically

Why did they choose 99? Dang it I need to raise my score now.

The ASVAB test is broken down as follows (number of questions):
General Science: 25
Arithmetic Reasoning: 30
Word Knowledge: 25
Paragraph Comprehension: 15
Auto and Shop Info: 25
Math Knowledge: 35
Mechanical Comprehension: 25
Electronics Information: 20

Total number of items: 200
Test Time: 134 minutes
Administrative Time: 46 minutes
Total Test Time: 180 minutes

***The Department of Defense doesn't give you anything extra if you score a 82 instead of a 99. If you score 50 or above you qualify for all of the benefits if they are available.

If you're interested in what test scores are required for what MOS, you can find some info at
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/l/blarasvabscores.htm

I got a 96 AFQT when I took it last. They say anything over a 65 or so is very good and anything over an 80 is exceptional. Congratulations on being exceptional ;)

The USMC breaks it down into 4 categories.
GT: General Technologies 134 for me
EL: Electronics 134 for me
MM: Mathematics 127 for me
CL: (I forgot) 134 for me I think, (my score has long since been zeroed out due to the length of time since I last took the ASVAB)

Generally if you score a 100+ on the GT you are eligible for almost any MOS.

Goodness, my ASVAB score was sorry compared to you all.
My AFQT was 74%.

My Marine scores were: MM: 98; GT: 111; EL: 103; CL: 116
My Air Force scores were: M: 66; A: 78; G: 70; E: 56

Compared to you all, this seems really low.

I made a 98!!! After all of these years of thinking I was average!!(I failed math in high school and had to take night courses and I went to summer school every summer during high school and I made 2 "61's" on my last report card. My dad said he :cen: his pants when they called me up there for my diploma) I don't remember my scores for the marine test...except my lowest was a 119 and highest was a 137 I believe in clerical stuff...wow I get to cast level 9 healing spells!!!

Back