Taiwan




 
--
Taiwan
 
December 10th, 2020  
George
 

Topic: Taiwan


Taiwan
https://www.yahoo.com/news/special-r...121032345.html
December 11th, 2020  
MontyB
 
 
To be fair Taiwan's defence was always in American hands as on its own Taiwan is incapable of defending itself against the much larger foe.

Personally I am disappointed that the rest of the world has let China call the shots, Taiwan should have been recognised as an independent nation and admitted to world bodies ages ago.

At some stage China needs to be made aware that it needs the world's markets just as much as the world needs it's markets.
December 11th, 2020  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
To be fair Taiwan's defence was always in American hands as on its own Taiwan is incapable of defending itself against the much larger foe.

Personally I am disappointed that the rest of the world has let China call the shots, Taiwan should have been recognised as an independent nation and admitted to world bodies ages ago.

At some stage China needs to be made aware that it needs the world's markets just as much as the world needs it's markets.
With all the talk of the Biden family deals with China, Taiwan should be nervous.
--
Taiwan
December 12th, 2020  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
With all the talk of the Biden family deals with China, Taiwan should be nervous.

I dont think so, I suspect the US likes having a base right next to its biggest competitor and will do what it takes to keep it.
December 14th, 2020  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Taiwan cannot survive a prolonged war with China, but Taiwan can make China pay for it. I don't know if Taiwan can trust the US and the Taiwan Relation Act. The US president cannot decide about intervening in an armed conflict between China and Taiwan without the consent by the Congress.

China is probably using hybrid warfare against Taiwan years before any conventional operations against Taiwan. The hybrid warfare is an efficient method to soften the Taiwanese before an attack. It can even achieve what the Chinese want without using its military might.

The Chinese are increasing its naval and amphibious capabilities, but I doubt it's enough to successfully conquer Taiwan, not now anyway. Maybe in 10-20 years from now. The Chinese air force and the aircraft carriers will have a huge task to suppress Taiwan's air defenses prior any invasion. The major threat toward Taiwan's air defense is to overwhelming it with clouds of missiles.

The political price for attacking Taiwan will be big. It is not worth it politically nor economically for the Chinese to attack Taiwan. China has been quite successful with isolating Taiwan politically. If the US/NATO/EU, and even Russia suddenly recognized Taiwan as an independent national state, it would be an independent state. The Chinese government would whine about it, but they couldn't ignore these countries.
December 15th, 2020  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
Taiwan cannot survive a prolonged war with China, but Taiwan can make China pay for it. I don't know if Taiwan can trust the US and the Taiwan Relation Act. The US president cannot decide about intervening in an armed conflict between China and Taiwan without the consent by the Congress.

China is probably using hybrid warfare against Taiwan years before any conventional operations against Taiwan. The hybrid warfare is an efficient method to soften the Taiwanese before an attack. It can even achieve what the Chinese want without using its military might.

The Chinese are increasing its naval and amphibious capabilities, but I doubt it's enough to successfully conquer Taiwan, not now anyway. Maybe in 10-20 years from now. The Chinese air force and the aircraft carriers will have a huge task to suppress Taiwan's air defenses prior any invasion. The major threat toward Taiwan's air defense is to overwhelming it with clouds of missiles.

The political price for attacking Taiwan will be big. It is not worth it politically nor economically for the Chinese to attack Taiwan. China has been quite successful with isolating Taiwan politically. If the US/NATO/EU, and even Russia suddenly recognized Taiwan as an independent national state, it would be an independent state. The Chinese government would whine about it, but they couldn't ignore these countries.
Sounds right.
 


Similar Topics
Taiwan and the Pacific Rim Powerplay
Japanese military and politic -- Discussion and details.
The true history of Taiwan.
Is China Better off just letting Taiwan go and do whatever??
Taiwan's New Submarine Hai Lung Version 2 [Zwaardvis]