Tacking the Stripe

Pacific Air

To those around the world who don't know, in the United States Air Force, we wear our rank on our sleeves. We're the only rank of military personnel who do this - the rest of the Armed Forces wear their ranks on their collars. It is traditionary for us to, whenever a person gets promoted to the next rank, we "tack" on the new stripe by lining up a gauntlet of personnel who have worn the stripe before them , and punch them in the arm, "tacking" the stripe to their uniform. I don't know if this explanation is true, but from what I've heard, there were Airmen who would glue the stripes to their uniform instead of actually sewing them on, so the "tacking" was to make sure that the stripes don't fall.

I don't know, I guess it's similar to blood wings (now punishable by UCMJ) and blood rank ( DIV PAM 600-2 doesn't allow it)

Either way, I recieved both.

Bastards. I'll get the chance to pound them back.. just wait...

Pacific Air said:
To those around the world who don't know, in the United States Air Force, we wear our rank on our sleeves. We're the only rank of military personnel who do this - the rest of the Armed Forces wear their ranks on their collars.
You're referring to BDU's only, right? ;)

AJChenMPH said:
Pacific Air said:
To those around the world who don't know, in the United States Air Force, we wear our rank on our sleeves. We're the only rank of military personnel who do this - the rest of the Armed Forces wear their ranks on their collars.
You're referring to BDU's only, right? ;)

I seem to remember the Navy and the Coast Guard having their ranks sewn on their sleeves as well, LT.
I think Pacific Air just breezed through that one. ;) :twisted:

Cadet Chief Robot said:
82ndMechanic said:
I don't know, I guess it's similar to blood wings (now punishable by UCMJ) and blood rank ( DIV PAM 600-2 doesn't allow it)
When did that happen?

Hrm, I believe it happened some years ago when they made hazing punishable under the UCMJ. The main cause and/or reason being that service members were hurt both physically and mentally and I even believe - not that I have proof to back it up - in a very few instances it resulted in a death.

In the USMC when you reach the rank of Corporal you used to get your bloodstripe and rank "pinned" on you.

Yes, mine were pinned on me and I am damn proud to participate in that tradition. These are people I know and trust so I took it in the manner it was intended "Welcome to the Brotherhood of NCO leadership".

A knee to each thigh muscle and a punch in each shoulder from each NCO in my shop. It never even came close to getting out of hand, but I can see where it could very easily get out of hand.

82ndMechanic said:

I saw this actually filmed secretly by someone who gave the film to 60 Minutes. These poor guys were in their T shirts and the two clasps are removed from the pins on the back and this is first slapped against your chest, and some actually ground it into their chests for a minute or so.

Missileer said:
82ndMechanic said:

I saw this actually filmed secretly by someone who gave the film to 60 Minutes. These poor guys were in their T shirts and the two clasps are removed from the pins on the back and this is first slapped against your chest, and some actually ground it into their chests for a minute or so.

Yep, and each of the persons involved were punished.

Not true... my friend and I used to punch each other for fun all the time :) ... and then there's Birthday beats... the girls here ALL take part in that!

AmericanSweetheart said:
well thats just harsh

As long as you don't use brass knuckles, it's okay, besides, everyone knows how hard to punch without getting his butt beat.:cheers:

Back