T-90 VS Leopard 2

Title says it all. Dont bother "Depends which crew is better", thats the most obvious thing anyone can know.

Which is better, T-90 or Leopard 2

Im guessing nobody would say T-90 [Seeing as it is Russian], but im interested.

why would you think that if it is russian then no body would vote.
the machine as a machine(with out the crew) in russia is good,now i dont know a thing of the Leopard,i know many people throwned it to be the best ever,and i disagree.
think is that tanks,men,aircraft and all military equipment and hardwarecannot be tested in thorey.
the Tiger II was far better than the Shermans and yet the Shermans did win.
the Siryan Tanks at the 1973 war was state of the art then and yet the Israeli tanks destroyed many of them.
my poiint is that it can only be decide in a true combat,so i would stop trying to figure out which i better.
they say that the best weapon is the weapon you never use.
let's hope the Leopard and the T-90 will never be used again.

I think nobody would say "T-90" because everyone here says "Russian equipment is pathetic and obsolete". I have nothing against Russia [Nor America, incase any of you decide to call me a Russian loving bum. BOTH countries, including Russia, have made and STILL make great equipment]

On the battlefield ? Who knows... a lot of aspects should be considered to conclude which one is better..

I think nobody would say "T-90" because everyone here says "Russian equipment is pathetic and obsolete". I have nothing against Russia [Nor America, incase any of you decide to call me a Russian loving bum. BOTH countries, including Russia, have made and STILL make great equipment]

I am going to go against the politically correct crowd and say that the Leopard 2 will win in at least 99 out of 100 cases assuming the crews are at least similar in quality.
Why?
Because Russian equipment is pathetic and obsolete at least in terms of armour.

It has nothing to really to do with the tank itself and I am almost prepared to say that the Russians still make the best tank gun on the market but that means absolutely nothing when the L2 can pretty much detect and destroy you at twice the range the T-90 can.

It Russia could develop targeting and stablisation systems that were anywhere near the quality that the west produces then they will produce a good competitive tank.

Last edited:
I disagree Monty,you do have a point there,but i think that in an open battle there can be suprises and we have seen these suprises before,you are 100% right about the L2 supirior to the T-90 but still i dont think the L2 will win 99/100 of the battles.
it just osent sound clever to put these 2 in thoery against each other,as I said,there are quite alot of suprises in the modern battlfield.

I disagree Monty,you do have a point there,but i think that in an open battle there can be suprises and we have seen these suprises before,you are 100% right about the L2 supirior to the T-90 but still i dont think the L2 will win 99/100 of the battles.
it just osent sound clever to put these 2 in thoery against each other,as I said,there are quite alot of suprises in the modern battlfield.

You are right, the L2 crew may take a day off at which point it would be a closer fight than the other 99 times.

Seriously the difference in the physical design of these two vehicles is not all that great outside appearance but the difference in fire control systems is the deciding factor and it is a big enough difference to make the T-90 a non-starter.

In fact I would go as far as saying that if you gave a T-90 six months of Western redesign work it would kick the snot out of Russian T-90s.

I think the gap is closing but not particularly quickly.

Last edited:
i do agree tht the russian T-90 will be infirior to the pimp my tank T-90 but still,u cannot foresee the result of a tank battle.

I will help to end the discussion here with my inside knowledge:
the Leopard is better and the world's best tank ever- period.
problem solved,
Thank you for your attention ;)

ps.: and no, I'm not taking sides on this one ... -_-

as a german u ought to know that the panzer and the tiger were considered the best tanks in the world..
ill end my post here

Alright, cause im annoyed at the extreme bias, ive done some reading on both the T-90 and Leopard 2, and have come to the conclusion that both the T-90 and the Leopard 2 are both very good tanks [Cant wait to get flamed: "Oh so sorry but Russia is inferior in every aspect compared to the west heil Abrams!"]

More than likely, the Leopard is a bit better.

You have to take into account that the thickness of the armour on the T-90 is CLASSIFIED, thus we dont know how thick the armour is [The problem is armor these days is mostly composite and involves different mixes of different materials like plastics, ceramics, depleted uranium and steel in different amounts, which offer different advantages for protection]. We can guess that the T-90 uses a pretty good version of the Kontakt-5 or perhaps the new "Relikt" ERA.
Also, the T-90's 125mm smoothboore turret also can fire Svir ATGM [Though the Leopards Rheinmetall turret can also probably fire ATGM's]

Back to armour, the T-90 has the Shtora-1 countermeasures suite, which is basically "A burger with the lot". the Shtora system can also locate where the threat came from and plot a firing plan for the main gun, so that the tank crew can return fire [Pretty nifty if it shoots out its aerosal smoke canisters and jams a ATGM with its pulsed-infrared jamming system-thingy].

The T-90 also has NBC protection equipment, KMT mine sweepers, a automatic fire-fighting system and an en-suite jakuzzi [Notice the sarcasm in the last bit].

Im not really comparing it with the Leopard, its just im sick of seeing so many replies like "Its sucks because its from Russia" and "If its Russian, you can count that it is 30 years behind western technology".

Just be cool.

listen you realy should not get to offended of those things'because after all.russia does have good equipment but in compare to the western equipments and hardware,come on,it hsares nothing and that means it gets nothing in return,the Leopard is built from few countries not only German,so is the Abrams and the challanger,from the early 70s the birtish and the Israelis worked together on tanks and equipment and it was like thata with the franch to.
the russians on the other hand had thier Iron curtian and share nothing,so it got nothing in return,that is why they have only thier tech which is not enough for todays battle fields.

The two tanks are very diffrent. I have no doubt that the Leopard in its 2A6 version is better protected, as there is no magic armor that compensates for the diffrence in weight between the tanks. No, not even the Kontact 5 which is a very very good ERA.Shotra is a good system, but dont they use ARENA for the T-90? Hard kill beats soft kill, you cant jam or screen a RPG29 or a APFSDS-DU round, but you can knock them out of the sky.

other than that we can argue all day long...

Zastava, you're asking all the wrong questions. You're getting Russian equipment that is obviously inferior and then asking how it would fare against better equipment head to head. The answer is obvious.

If you look at some of our threads, I have actually supported Russian equipment on more than a few occasions.
It really depends on what you want to do.
I've actually said that Russian utility helicopters would actually get my nod over a lot of Western utility helicopters. They're more rugged, simpler and carry more. Also they are much cheaper. What would I want for a bus on rotor blades? I want a Russian Mi-17 or Mi-24.
What would I supply a guerilla army, an AK-47 or an M-16? I'd pick the AK-47.

You work with their strengths and their weaknesses. You don't just go, "will this Russian tank, which I **** over because it's Russian, beat state of the art German tanks?" Your answer is, as Monty said, 99/100, NO.

Your just being stereotypical. Its not a T-72 that they sold to bloody Iraq, this is actually better.

Do you think I give a flying f*ck or a rats sh*t about Russia? Wait, oh no! Look at my name! ZASTAVA ARMS!

Obviously, as our much accurate Fox News reported, he must be a ultra-nationalist Serb that supports the death of Muslims, and must be in love with Russia! Oh noez!

Let me put a few facts straight:
1. I am not a Nationalist, Communist, Neo-Fascists, Capitalist etc etc. I dont give a crap if Putin turns out to be a Nationalist or if Obama is actually a neo-fascist. Whoever is good, is good. Regardless of political beleif.

2. I dont beleive In god/allah or any religion. And yes, it is possible for a Serb to not be Christian, it is not a crime against one of newtons law of physics.

3. I love Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo and Serbia. Infact, I dont think we should exist. We should just be "Yugoslavia". Once again, it is possible for a Serb not to be racist.

4. I like both Russian and American equipment. Yes, it is possible for a Serb to like the latter aswell, even though you bombed the living f*ck out of us in 1999. Man, Clinton is a stooge.

5. The only reason im supporting Russians so extensively because, obviously, they are under-represented. Sure, lots of their equipment isnt as good as American ones, but the same is true vice-versa. Oh wait, am i wrong? oh wait, F-22 Stealth LOL OMFG HAIL AMERICA!

jee,whats wrong pal?
how old u said u were? 14?
you have so much to learn before you could even speak about all the stuff you wrote about Communists facists Capitalism ETC ETC and hell lot of time before you could read the Political map as good as the guys here can.
and im only 18 years old and im saying this because at those 4 years from 14-18...and especially before the military service u begin to see not only balcks and whites but also greys.
so take it easy mate,try leaning and not preaching now

My country has seen a mix of all of them.

Oh wait! No! Serbia is a entirely fascist state and Vladimir Putin and Dmitri Medvedev are the actual dictators of the country! Who shall save Serbia?
Look, its a bird! Its a plane! Wait, no, its the AMERICAN DREAM!

Shame its always a nightmare.

Back