T-90 VS Leopard 2 - Page 9

--

November 26th, 2009  
Britney

I think the Leopard 2 would blow the T-90 up. Its been the fate of every Russian tank thats crossed a Western tank's sites- why would the T-90 be any different? The leopard 2 has better armor quality armor, more of it, a better gun ( in particularly the A6 model), better targeting acquisition, and it's faster.

The Leopard 2 is 20 years older ( or younger..)than the T-90 and it outclasses it still.

The Germans have always made superb tanks- even though ironically enough it's first the A7V was a horrible conception. Real first class tanks all around, the T-90 has less than a ghost of a chance.
November 26th, 2009  
Zastava-Arms

You base that fact that the T-72's and such the west blew up were used by people who had no experience and barely any training.
November 26th, 2009  
Britney

But I never mentioned the T-72?

On the subject of that though, why do you think the Iraqi armored corps had no experience and barely any training? They had just gotten done fighting for a decade against Iran. The Republican guard in particular had exceptional training- both to advance their own political careers in the militaristic government, and to make a name for themselves by in my opinion fancying themselves the modern SS.

The Syrians and Egyptians had decently trained armor crews, not much less training then the typical russian crews. Russia has never trained its men particularly well ( one only needs to look at its airforce) What makes you think they would fair significantly better then the Iraqis, Syrians, or Egyptians?

The Germans are no one's fools and their training is just as complex as any other NATO members. Superior crew, superior tank, same result- burning Russian scrap heap after being slapped around by the Germans.

I think it would be a much better match fighting our Abrahams, the Leopard two is a more than worthy adversary to face in battle.
--
November 26th, 2009  
Zastava-Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney
Its been the fate of every Russian tank...

As I was saying, if the US/NATO and USSR/Warsaw Pact went to war, we would have a very different opinion on Russian tanks than we do now.
November 26th, 2009  
Britney

I dont think it would be much different, i think they are inferior to Western tanks.
November 26th, 2009  
Zastava-Arms

Very slightly, maybe. Lets not forget that the Soviet Union was the only country that had APS on their tanks at the time, that would have made a fair bit of a difference.
November 26th, 2009  
Britney

I thought they did away with that as it was to impractical for infantry to support them?
November 26th, 2009  
Zastava-Arms

Sorry, that confused me a bit..
November 26th, 2009  
Britney

The russians, i thought they stopped using Shtora on many of its tanks because of the danger it posed to it's own men ? They tended to use tanks as cover but the missile would detonate and injure or kill those who did, so i thought they stopped using it?

I know that was the fear amongst the US army. Its trying to refine it in the form of quick kill from advances the Israeli's made on the system. The pressure from the missiles detonating would kill or render and infantry in the imminent area unfit for battle. Effectively making the tank supportless. It's good for blitzing witch is what the Soviets may have had in mind, but otherwise it makes the take more vulnerable.

Even so..Whats that have to do with a fight against a Leopard? A leopard uses it's main gun to do battle, not with laser guided ordinance? In a armor clash between NATO and Russia how would the Russians survive? They have thinner armor, a less powerful gun, and move slower. Not to mention they are fewer in number than the NATO tanks. Even on a solo duel, the German's Rheinmetall L55 out ranges the 2A46M and against inferior armor - that means a kill. If that wasn't the case, i am fully confident the Leopard 2's superior armor could withstand a blow from the T-90- as it's sister the Abrams has proven in the test bed against the same gun.
November 27th, 2009  
Zastava-Arms

I think that they used Shtora and Drozd on the tanks that were going to charge across western europe without waiting or stopping for anything.

The type of armour on the T-90 is classified, so we dont know how thick or thin it is. Its obvious though that it uses ERA.

Im not saying that the T-90 is better, but it wouldnt be utterly decimated.