Syria shoots down a Turkish fighter jet

Justice

Turkey says one of its fighter jets was shot down by Syrian air defenses over the Mediterranean today, a potentially alarming development as Syria's civil war is deepening and signs are emerging that Turkey is assisting the arming of that country's rebels.

Leading Turkish daily Hürriyet quoted an "official" source as saying Syria shot the plane down and that the two pilots were successfully rescued at sea. The Turkish government news agency Anatolia said the plane was an F4 Phantom, a US-made fighter that debuted in the 1950s and is often used for both bombing and reconnaissance. Turkey's fleet of F4s have been upgraded over the years with the assistance of both the US and Israel. Anatolia quoted Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan as saying Syria has apologized the incident.

RELATED: 5 key factions in Syria

While there's no hard evidence yet that Syria shot the plane down, it's safe to assume that Turkey has been intensely monitoring developments in next-door Syria with every resource at its disposal, with thousands of Syrian refugees having poured into its territory, and elements of the loose-knit Free Syrian Army operating from within Turkish territory.

The chance this incident will lead to a major escalation in the conflict – with Turkey overtly fighting the Syrian regime of Bashar al-Assad – is extremely remote. Turkey isn't eager for war with Syria, and vice verse. President Assad has his hands full fighting his own people.

But the loss of the plane is a reminder of how hot the situation is becoming, with Russia having claimed it's rushing more air defenses to Syria to help its ally protect itself from outside interference. Jostling for supremacy over Syria's skies, if only in the interests of spying and collecting information, is likely to intensify, making future incidents rather more likely than not. While the events today are no tipping point, future ones that result in the death or capture of pilots could prove to be another matter entirely. Earlier this week, a Syrian pilot flew his Russian-built MIG-21 to Jordan and defected.

Turkey does frequently conduct bombing raids inside another neighbor – Iraq. Kurdish separatists from Turkey shelter in that country's autonomous Kurdistan and often stage attacks on the Turkish military across the border, usually drawing reprisals. Earlier this week, Turkish warplanes pounded what the government said were rebel camps inside Iraq, after an attack on a military base in Turkey left eight Turkish soldiers and over two-dozen Kurdish rebels dead. The country is unlikely to be looking for another front to fight on.

Inside Syria, the war is set to drag on. An unarmed UN mission to monitor a cease-fire that was agreed to in April, but never adhered to, has been suspended. Norwegian Gen. Robert Mood, the leader of the mission, was in New York this week and all but conceded that it has failed and an adjustment of approach is needed. With reports of better armed rebel groups, financed by Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey, a quick resolution to a war that has displaced hundreds of thousands already is not on the cards.

Follow Dan Murphy on Twitter.
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Backchannels/2012/0622/Syria-shoots-down-a-Turkish-fighter-jet

The Turks were probably put up to this by the U.S & NATO in order to test the Syrian air defense capabilities if NATO planes were to be ever sent to do a no-fly zone as in Libya, but the Turks failed horribly because since 2007 Syria has be veraciously upgrading its air defense with the help of the Russians and Iranians. Syria has a military that is very capable, that is very professional and was geared for large scale battles with the Israelis and they won't be a walk over as in Libya, no matter how many weapons the rebels receive they will not be a match for the Syrian army the most they can hope for is hit and run attacks, i.e.ds, and suicide bombings. Turkey just received a very stark warning that if you violate Syrian airspace their will be a heavy price to pay.

The Turks were probably put up to this by the U.S & NATO in order to test the Syrian air defense capabilities if NATO planes were to be ever sent to do a no-fly zone as in Libya, but the Turks failed horribly because since 2007 Syria has be veraciously upgrading its air defense with the help of the Russians and Iranians. Syria has a military that is very capable, that is very professional and was geared for large scale battles with the Israelis and they won't be a walk over as in Libya, no matter how many weapons the rebels receive they will not be a match for the Syrian army the most they can hope for is hit and run attacks, i.e.ds, and suicide bombings. Turkey just received a very stark warning that if you violate Syrian airspace their will be a heavy price to pay.

If it was true that you said then the Turks wouldn't send a antique F-4 reconnaissance plane and risk two pilots. Nato is a professional force and it is very likely that they already have the frequencies of the Syrian Air defense System so they could jam it. The US aslready said that they are ready if the President orders them to. This means they are capable of destroying the Syrian Air Defenses.

I was discussing this with a SWO I know. He said that the brinksmanship on the part of Turkey and Syria has been going on for awhile. He's of the opinion that a hot head locked and shot. I'll take his word for as he's an SME on the area.

It could be also be a good excuse for Turkey to start some thing as they don't want several million refugees in their country from Syria

As I have heard the Turkey plane was destroyed by SA-11 which was bought by Syrians from Russia a few weeks ago. So its operators must be Russian and we can consider it as the first conflict between Russia and NATO in Syria.

So your contention is that Russian Trainers shoot down a Turkish Phantom? What possible reason could a Russian tech have for doing that? Especially since the whole flight and activation of ADA systems has been going on for awhile.

I doubt Russia is interested in a chapter 5 conflict in Syria now or at any other point in time..
That´d be idiotic of them.

KJ sends..

I also doubt the idea that NATO put Turkey up to this, more likely the aircraft strayed off course and the Syrians shot it down. Don't know if you folks have heard, but **** hit the fan a long time ago in that country and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Syrian air defenses have been on a heightened alert level for quite some time. I assume for air defense the border is much like the wire/perimeter at our FOB and standing orders are if anyone gets within 25m of the wire light the MF's up.

Syrian act is unacceptable.They could warn to our pilots but they didnt, they shoot down
So pity for our pilots, we should answer to their attack but we didnt. I dont mean that start to war against to syrian but we could do somethings.Goverment didnt do anything just like before. Coz they are waiting order from Usa. But bad timing for a war, coz obama is waiting for elections, after elections war can start against to Syrian. I want to say that this is not Turkish people war but god damn we are in this war without its starting.

It was an unarmed combat capable training fighter, it was flying over international waters. And we know that, it is easy to shot down an unarmed fighter. Most of the RF-4E Phantoms are used for training and reconnaissence missions for Turkish Air Force. This hostile action showed us that Syria is one another bandit state. They opened fire to another Turkish rescue plane in the same day.

The important thing is Turkish military activity on Syrian border. Turkish army deployed troops and tanks to the border. The tension is incresing in the region and Syria is not aware what Turkey can do. Syrian MoFA said "It was an acciddent" in the first day. But today they say it was a defensive action.

Poor Syria you are playing a dangerous game. Your army is not capable of playing such a dangerous war game against Turkey.

It's not surprising that the brinksmanship finally leads to accidental conflict.
It will benefit no one directly involved in war, the winner in the end is always the warmongers and weapon sellers(Actually these men are amazingly smart)
It's a shame that the word of Russell couldn't get across after decades.:(

Back