SYRETS CONCENTRATION CAMP IN KYIV

Maksym Chornyi

SYRETS CONCENTRATION CAMP IN KYIV​

I am delighted to continue my series of historical researches devoted to the Babi yar massacre and the topography of the site and the area in the vicinity. As a Ukrainian myself and a long-standing frequenter of this topic, I admit the fact that an incomparably smaller share of my Western readers chanced to hear fact full information on the Syrets concentration camp in Kyiv, beyond Babi, yar itself. This detailed historical exploration of 5000 words demanded me another month of research. Recent historical findings in Ukraine, declassified archives, up to 30 books on the Holocaust, Eastern front, and national history, accompanied with a bulk of photos (2020) from the site and a detailed map with markings for your own journey.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback on the article: feel free to ask questions, make amendments and share your own stories. I wish you, as always, meaningful books and your own journeys to the extent possible.

https://war-documentary.info/syrets-concentration-camp/

topography-1.jpg

Good article Maksym. If people don't learn from the past, they are doomed to repeat. I was born in 1951, so I missed WW2. I did have friends as well as my dad who were in the war.. My dad was one of the first to go into Hiroshima after the bomb. He held no animosity towards the Japanese, actually had friends over there. He said the Japanese were as surprised as the Americans that the people were actually the same, neither were monsters, propaganda and governments were the problem.

Good article Maksym. If people don't learn from the past, they are doomed to repeat. I was born in 1951, so I missed WW2. I did have friends as well as my dad who were in the war.. My dad was one of the first to go into Hiroshima after the bomb. He held no animosity towards the Japanese, actually had friends over there. He said the Japanese were as surprised as the Americans that the people were actually the same, neither were monsters, propaganda and governments were the problem.

Somewhere in my collection I have pictures of Hiroshima and the Kure Naval base my father took during his time in J-Force, the destruction was phenomenal.

He never talked about the Japanese, good or bad but he often spoke highly of German troops he encountered in Europe he was however very supportive of the atomic bombs.

Back