Switching programs in DEP due to medical reasons

CVSPPF

Here is my story, i am in the navy DEP and went through the physical and everything at MEPS. My desired program was the SEAL program and everything was fine except my vision. Based on all the tests they gave me the nuclear program, which was my second choice. I am now considering laser eye surgery in order to fix my vision and switch into the SEAL program. My question is whether or not they will let me do this and go through MEPS again with corrected eyes (for the sake of arguement lets assume the surgery goes fine, i understand there are risks and will consult doctors about that). I already have my ship date in may if that makes any difference. I have heard that they dont really like losing people from the nuclear program so i am not sure if they will like me doing this or if it is even possible. what is the process of going through this if it is at all possible?

Here is my story, i am in the navy DEP and went through the physical and everything at MEPS. My desired program was the SEAL program and everything was fine except my vision. Based on all the tests they gave me the nuclear program, which was my second choice. I am now considering laser eye surgery in order to fix my vision and switch into the SEAL program. My question is whether or not they will let me do this and go through MEPS again with corrected eyes (for the sake of arguement lets assume the surgery goes fine, i understand there are risks and will consult doctors about that). I already have my ship date in may if that makes any difference. I have heard that they dont really like losing people from the nuclear program so i am not sure if they will like me doing this or if it is even possible. what is the process of going through this if it is at all possible?

Do NOT get eyesurgery before you join.
Some surgeries are a DQ for BUD/s.
Get in and let the Navy sort your eyes out.

I am not sure, but if you have a SEAL challange contract I think they will give you what eyesurgery is needed. (DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR THIS, CHECK WITH YOUR DUTY STATION.)

Good luck on reaching your goals.
//KJ.

Personally if I had it to do over again I'd go nuke. Trust me there's way more jobs out here after you retire for a nuke than somebody with a seal crest

Back