switching careers to PMC

Ging7

I have an extensive background in EP but mostly in low risk environments like US & Europe. However I am seriously considering to do some high risk security training and take an overseas contract. I have seen a majority of them are 90/30 so that is fine. Any advise or insight you guys can give who have been working there? I have a few guys who worked with Academi and others who did some work with other firms. Obviously I am considering it because of the difference in pay to domestic EP, I know it has dropped but still looks like they are running around 600/day depending. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I think you've pretty much missed the train. The real need for PMC personel is dying a lot faster than they are.

My son got out of it over 5 years ago and could earn the same working in the mining industry in Australia, with far better conditions.

I think you've pretty much missed the train. The real need for PMC personel is dying a lot faster than they are.

My son got out of it over 5 years ago and could earn the same working in the mining industry in Australia, with far better conditions.

Your son is doing security for the mining industry... or mining? And he is making 600/day? I got friends on pretty cush oil gigs doing EP and making solid money on their 90 day runs.

I would say he was mining. There isn't much need for more than an man with a torch for security here in oz... Mining here is in the middle of nowhere isolated as you can get. Literally 1000s of kms to anywhere. Many fly in fly out. Being paid that much for some jobs is not unheard of...

well not really looking to go work in a mine personally. Any guys have recommendations on good/bad experiences with any of them? There are so many now and such a huge range of stories hard to know the legit from bs.

Personally I´ve never met a PMC that made a good impression. In my eyes they are a bunch of cowboys. They are mercenaries and that´s it. I don´t ****ing trust them.

Personally I´ve never met a PMC that made a good impression. In my eyes they are a bunch of cowboys. They are mercenaries and that´s it. I don´t ****ing trust them.

My sentiments exactly...good way to find yourself dead regardless of the training and experience you already have.

I know 3 guys off the top of my head that I know either personally or through the military that went into contracting. All three are Ranger qualified, 2 served in regiment and the other was SF...All three were wounded within 12 months of employment...the money is good, but is it worth your life or quality of life?

Not to mention my personal experiences with them screwing up all the effort I put into pacifying an area when they went through and were shooting up any vehicle that they deemed a threat, which apparently, was most of them. Then I have to deal with these consequences by rebuilding the trust and confidence of the locals that took me MONTHS to do. All because some PMC's were solely focused on their and their packages security...F*ck the rest of us who have to live with these people. A**holes!

I'm not a fan, but if you find yourself on the PMC side of things in A-stan or other areas where US/coalition forces operate, do yourself and the battle space owner of the area you're operating in a favor and talk to the guys who work the area before you go trapesing through their backyard. You may very well find yourself in a situation where the very guys you've pissed off have to come and save your a**, avoid it all together by just talking to them before you do your run. Makes things easier for everybody.

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice, we will see what kind of contracts come my way, but I will heed your advice if I end up in Afghanistan.

Your son is doing security for the mining industry... or mining? And he is making 600/day? I got friends on pretty cush oil gigs doing EP and making solid money on their 90 day runs.
I have no idea what money he earned, I've never asked. He left because the "big money" is not always there and also because of exactly what RM42 said,... he found that many if not most PMC personnel were "total Wankers". The type who rolled up for their Weeties in the morning, tooled up as if they were on a ten day foot patrol.

All in all, his impression was that PMCs seemed to appeal to all the wrong type of people, "testosterone jocks" who were generally far better talkers and dreamers than fighters, more likely to cut and run than fight if the shite hit the fan. He spent more time worrying about whether he could rely on them than any possible threat from insurgents.

I might add that he had been working as an anti poaching foot patrol officer in South Africa when he was approached by an ex Rhodesian Army guy who runs a recruiting agency in Jo'burg. He found the ex Rhodesians to be pretty much top line but many of the people they worked with in Iraq were "cowboys" and "poseurs" with a strong steak of "Billy Liar" about them.

Last edited:
Back