Switching to Active

armywife

My husband is currently in the Army Reserves and is serving in Iraq. Once he returns he is thinking about switching to active duty. We are unsure on the procedure and hoping to have base choice. Any info that can be shared about switching from reserves to active duty would be soooo welcomed!!! Also (providing we have base choice) any info about Ft Carson would be great.

Thanks
~Crystal~

Good luck getting duty station preference right now, especially ft. carson. You're pretty much going to go where ever the army needs you. But i hope it works out for you, i'm heading back to active duty myself(although i never was in the active reserves just in my IRR time).

Good luck getting duty station preference right now, especially ft. carson. You're pretty much going to go where ever the army needs you. But i hope it works out for you, i'm heading back to active duty myself(although i never was in the active reserves just in my IRR time).

When signing a new contract it's not hard at all to get duty station of choice for a place like Carson. What makes you think that it is? The hard places to get to are TRADOC posts and places that don't deploy. If you want to go to Carson, you're going to get 4th ID and trust me, they will take you. Carson is a pretty good post ( I was stationed there for a year and a half) but the cost of living in the surrounding area is much higher than Texas (my current assignment). If you are trying to get to Lewis, Carson, Hood, Bliss, Stewart or any other post where they have BCTs on the deployment schedule, it's not hard at all due to the huge turnover in between deployments. A lot of people get out or PCS as soon as their deployment ends, and it creates many openings in units such as those.

I am actually thinking of switching over to active duty as well. I wonder if its possible to get Italy.

PCSing is a completely different story than going active from reserve, the incentives are different. And I have had plenty of buddies who have requested carson on an actual re up and got sent somewhere else.

That is usually only if they are tryin to fill shortages on a deployment roster, which generally supercedes your preference (i.e. you want to go to a unit that just got back from Iraq, but a unit that is deploying in 3 months is critically short). In this case, she said the guy is in Iraq right now, which means he is guaranteed at least 12 months Stateside by order of the SECDEF, so I would think that wouldn't factor in.

Know a kid who went active from the Army Reserves. Him and his wife filled out a dream sheet that was topped by Schofield Barracks and contained all sorts of obsucre posts. He's currently hating life at Ft Riley. You go where they send you.

Back