Swine Flu

Here in Va Beach its about 2 hours old. sometime today the WHO raised it to Pandemic world wide.

Okay, folks -- here's the skinny (coming from someone who's more or less working on this right now):

The novel A/H1N1 flu (as it's officially known) is proving to behave about the same as the regular flu bug (as of today, 18 June 2009). The fact that WHO formally declared a Stage 6 pandemic was a formality -- it just reflects the breadth and the speed of the spread of the virus. HIV/AIDS at one point would have met the definition for a Stage 6 pandemic, but no one seems to care about that anymore. And the regular flu kills about 36,000 people every year in the U.S. alone.

There is nothing one does differently for A/H1N1 flu vs. the regular flu -- the treatment protocol is identical. So if you're sick, don't bother getting tested just to see if you have it. The laboratories simply don't have the capacity to test everyone that has the flu.

There are only really four things you can do:

1. If you get sick with influenza-like illness or show signs/symptoms of ILI, STAY AT HOME. Stay home for at least 7 days, or 24 hours past when the signs/symptoms are over, whichever is LONGER. (So if you have signs/symptoms for 9 days, stay home for one more day. But if you only have signs/symptoms for 4 days, still stay at home for 7 days.)

2. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, and make sure you wash them long enough. Humming the tune to "Happy Birthday" while you lather your hands with soap is about right.

3. If you cough or sneeze, do so into a tissue or the sleeve of your shirt. Don't cough or sneeze into open air (that just aerosolizes the virus which allows it to spread more quickly, assuming you have it) or into your hands (your hands touch everything, which also help to spread it).

4. Call your doctor -- s/he will determine whether or not you need any antiviral medications (like Tamiflu or Relenza) based on your personal medical history, or whether or not you need to go to the hospital. Do NOT go to the hospital without asking your doctor (unless it's the middle of the night and you can't find your doctor and you're REALLY, REALLY sick), they're already clogged with people that really don't need to be there -- and it just spreads the virus around that much more.

That's it. Any more questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Last edited:
Thank you, Dr. Chen (seeing that you are wearing your professional hat):-D.

Your excellent advice is both timely and very welcome.

Oh,... and while you're here, could you have a look at this spot I have on my...... :-D

Last edited:
Damn!,.. Oh well, I've been given needles by a ship's chief engineer, so I guess you'll just have to do. Now if you look around here on my back....

Too late,... you've missed your chance at immortality, Shirl just said that it's only a spot of dirt. A bit of spit and a rub with the corner of her hanky and it was gone. :-D

Last edited:
Alas, I'm not actually a physician...just a Public Health Service officer. Sorry, Spike!

That statement right there makes me trust YOU more than a Doctor.
In the Navy I trusted Corpsmen more than Doctors, right now I se a Animal Vet when I'm sick, so far in the last 10 years he's been more accurate than a huuman doctor.

I had some flu symptoms, but I'm getting better now, I was sick, but it was just a reqally reaally bad cold.

Awesome advice. So the BS the press pulls on us does nothing but clog hospitals. Outstanding...
The problem is that the public health folks are actually trying to get the word out, but they don't mention it nearly enough so that every single sound bite captures the message...

And then you've got people who will show up at the hospitals regardless of what you tell them. :bang:

That's usually expected of a wash.

Alright, let's get into specifics.

Wash.
Use treated, tap water. If unavailable, filter and boil, then let cool.
Use soap, preferrably medicated soap.
Soap well. As for hands, hum a short song like happy birthday to ensure that you're doing it long enough.
Wash your arm pits, your balls and your ass crack.
Wash your feet and especially the toes really well.
Use shampoo. Rub it in well and use the tip of your fingers to get the crap out of your hair. Wash it out with clean water (as explained above) and wash it out completely so you don't have shampoo left behind.
Rinse your body well so no soap or anything is left.
Dry well or you'll have fungus.

Simply... WASH.
I can't believe that some people actually need INSTRUCTIONS on how to wash properly.

Back