Swimming???

GRXMITES

Hello

I am thinking about enlisting next year to the marines, Just one question about swimming combat, do you need to know how to swim before you enlist?????????????

This is a little off subject, but I'm pretty sure you will find this interesting. My uncle was in the USMC during the Gulf War, and he said that during training they tied weights to his feet and he had to tred water for a certain amount of time. I don't know if they do this anymore though.

well i dont really know how to swim at all.. ive tried when i went on vaction but its harder for me...But its also gonna be hard trying to find a place that has a pool...Theres not many pools here in this town so i dont know what im gonna do....

GRXMITES said:
well i dont really know how to swim at all.. ive tried when i went on vaction but its harder for me...But its also gonna be hard trying to find a place that has a pool...Theres not many pools here in this town so i dont know what im gonna do....

You have to go through a Swim Qual during Basic Training. There are 4 levels. Depending on what you get in Boot Camp depends on how long you have to wait to do it again. If you're a 4 you do it every year. 3, you do it every 2 years. 2 every 3 years and 1 you do it every 4.

So yes, you do have to know how to swim. But if you can't, they'll set you up and "help" you learn. Either way you get a few shots at it.

You don't have to know how to swim but it will sure help. There also is a difference between not knowin how to swim and afraid of the water. If you are not afraid of the water and want to learn go for it, if you are afraid of the water you might want to consider tryin to get over that before makin any decision.

well its not that im scared of swimming, its just i cant swim at all....Hmm lets see if ill ask my cousin to teach me..Damn o yea lets say i go to the marines not knowing how to swim, will they take me out of my platoon and put me in another or will i get to graduate with the same platoon as before

You got one year to learn how to swim, so I would suggest that you give it a try before you join..

It's always a good thing to know how to swim, regardless of what branch you choose to join.

Back