Swimming to Africa.

Del Boy

British Olympic rowing champion James Cracknell and Brit comedian David Walliams have swum across the strait from Gibraltar to Africa, twelve miles, 4 hours , but a dangerous swim.

In doing so Cracknell rowed across the English Channel , 22 miles, dried himself off and then cycled 1400 miles across Europe to Spain at 300 miles per day, and then did the swim from Gibraltar to Morocco, to become the first person to travel from England to Africa under his own body power.
He raised approx $700,000 for Sport-Relief. David Walliams had already swum the English Channel recently and a documentary was produced to support Sport-Relief.

Last edited:
what the heck is sport-relief?

Sport- Relief is an annual charity to raise money for those in need. It is raised ,through television donation of the public, by prominent sportsmen and women and celebrities and televised on one day (yesterday) . Most is committed to the very poorest children in Africa etc. Aids in Zambia etc.

Last night raised over $40 million dollars, which could well be doubled over the next couple of days.

And today one single sportsman donated a further $10 million by himself.

That, my friends, is our Sport-Relief.

And FutureMedic - you'd never believe. What a guy - the real deal in every respect. James Cracknell!

Last edited:
Wished that money was being used on the places in need in the UK.

I don't think such causes are excluded, but we certainly are currently making BIG efforts in Africa, even South Africa, in medical and education areas, to save kids wherever possible.We take the point, but Africa always makes us cry.

Sometimes our own home countries makes us cry.
Send money to Africa, and some Mbado Nkorrupto will steal half of it.

Yea Redneck we are on to that. In lots of case we tend to take the job to them, and set it up. Some of my family run an education charity in Africa, believing that education is the key. They go backwards and forwards , build what they need etc.

We are aware of the bottomless pit, and as always we grumble, but each year when our sports stars present us with the films of the kids in such trouble, we bite the bullet and do what we can. Many other charities and countries benefit too, I believe.

Yesterday Britons ran a sponsored mile each (those taking part) to add to the total.

Back