Sweedish S-Tank

--

August 22nd, 2004  
gladius

Topic: Sweedish S-Tank

What is the consensus on the S-Tank?

Is it a good tank?

Is it even a tank, or tank destroyer?

Is worth getting, say if you where a military power looking to get tanks for your army?

How does it compare to an M1?
August 22nd, 2004  
AlexKall

Stridsvagn 103? It wouldnt have a chance against a M1, its a design from the 60ies and it has a fixed gun. I wouldnt by it in todays army.

If to buy it it should be for target practise only
August 22nd, 2004  
gladius

So it pretty useless then for modern combat.

How would the S-1 hold up against an invasion of Russian or Chinese tanks will it still be able to hold it own, or is it totaly useless for this purpose also.

Would it have done okay against the Iraqis would you say?

It would do well against third countries probably, right?

Also I think Belgium makes a tank destroyer also Italy, are those any good for modern combat?
--
August 23rd, 2004  
AlexKall

I dont think it have a chance against any modern tank with some kind of stabilization and a moving turret. Not even third world tanks. And i dont know anything about the italian nor belgian destroyers. 103 is as of what i know only used as targets for STRV 122 and other weapons.
August 23rd, 2004  
SHERMAN

Now now...Dont go over the top...As useless as the S-tank is, you cant say that its not a match for the older generation of tanks. A T-55 or a even a T62 would find a good fight in one of those old rusboxes.
August 24th, 2004  
AlexKall

well yeah maybe hehe
August 24th, 2004  
gladius

I kinda like the design.

I wonder if they could design a completely new updated version, similar to the S-tank.

It would be a lot cheaper than a normal tank, since the traversing turret system is half the cost of building a tank.

For defensive purposes, a new design may be able to hold its own.
August 24th, 2004  
SHERMAN

hmmm....I wouldent want to be in one in combat.
August 24th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Links?
August 24th, 2004  
SHERMAN

http://afvinteriors.hobbyvista.com/stank/stank.html