Sweedish S-Tank

gladius

What is the consensus on the S-Tank?

Is it a good tank?

Is it even a tank, or tank destroyer?

Is worth getting, say if you where a military power looking to get tanks for your army?

How does it compare to an M1?

Stridsvagn 103? It wouldnt have a chance against a M1, its a design from the 60ies and it has a fixed gun. I wouldnt by it in todays army.

If to buy it it should be for target practise only :lol:

So it pretty useless then for modern combat.

How would the S-1 hold up against an invasion of Russian or Chinese tanks will it still be able to hold it own, or is it totaly useless for this purpose also.

Would it have done okay against the Iraqis would you say?

It would do well against third countries probably, right?

Also I think Belgium makes a tank destroyer also Italy, are those any good for modern combat?

I dont think it have a chance against any modern tank with some kind of stabilization and a moving turret. Not even third world tanks. And i dont know anything about the italian nor belgian destroyers. 103 is as of what i know only used as targets for STRV 122 and other weapons. ;)

Now now...Dont go over the top...As useless as the S-tank is, you cant say that its not a match for the older generation of tanks. A T-55 or a even a T62 would find a good fight in one of those old rusboxes.

I kinda like the design.

I wonder if they could design a completely new updated version, similar to the S-tank.

It would be a lot cheaper than a normal tank, since the traversing turret system is half the cost of building a tank.

For defensive purposes, a new design may be able to hold its own.

SHERMAN said:
hmmm....I wouldent want to be in one in combat.

It won't be that bad. I if I were to come up with a new design, I would put extra-super-heavy sloped armor up front where it counted. I would arm it with at least a 120mm gun, maybe 155. And use a sophisticated targeting system.

I would try to make it the modern day equivalent of a Jagpanther or Rhino if I can.

For defensive purposes this wouldn't be too bad. I wouldn't take it on the offense its not made for that.

Yes, but you have to see that there is little place for purely defensive weapons in a modern battle field. In order to defend, you must conduct counter-attacks, and in order to do that you need armour(for now, at least). There is no point in having tanks that are only capable of defense. By the way, the Sweeds called the S-103 an MBT, which to me is a joke. It is a Tank-Destoryer, maybe a Heavy Tank-Destroyer. Also note Sweeden dose deploy the Ikv-91 Tank Destroyer,a 16000 Kg vehiecle witha 90mm main gun.

SHERMAN said:
Yes, but you have to see that there is little place for purely defensive weapons in a modern battle field. In order to defend, you must conduct counter-attacks, and in order to do that you need armour(for now, at least). There is no point in having tanks that are only capable of defense. By the way, the Sweeds called the S-103 an MBT, which to me is a joke. It is a Tank-Destoryer, maybe a Heavy Tank-Destroyer. Also note Sweeden dose deploy the Ikv-91 Tank Destroyer,a 16000 Kg vehiecle witha 90mm main gun.

It was a MBT in the sense of being out Main Battle Tank but not in the sense of the word nowadays.

Also i don't see any real need for a upgraded 103, or even a new 103 type of tank as we already got STRV 122. Also it would be a clumpsy system, to make a targeting system for a fixed gun wouldn't be practical and would be hard to get a system as good as today tank systems.

You would basically have to move the whole tank to turn the gun, you would probably have to use hydraulics in the front and back to make the gun lower and raise. Also the maker of the 103 is busy with the STRV 122 and other weapons systems.

The tank in general is good the only fall back is the gun, the reason for having a fixed turret is to have a smaller profile than other tanks.

Your talking about a system that was developed in the late 50's. It was an innovative and interesting concept at the time.
They're all mothballed now.

Back