Swedish Tank.

I suppose everyone has their own opinion...

How many of the current breeds of tanks have actually seen combat? Hard to slap a "Best In The World" moniker on something without putting it up against other tanks.

I'd say strv122 is the best, perhaps not for everyone but not everyone is looking for a vehicle that has been proven in desert combat against 30 - 50 years old crap. How many of the current tank breeds have seen combat in arctic conditions :sarc:

The Strv 122 is definitely one of my favorite tanks, but I don't think any one tank can be declared "the best," it's just not going to happen as long as so many countries are at the same technological level.

Its probebly one of the best for Artic warfare, but probebly crappy in the desert! I doubt the engine can coop with those high temps :(

The best tank of the world is the Iraki t-54/55. Don't you remember how the Hussein's general kept on saying that they were beating the American Abrams in the last Gulf War? :D :D :D

This should put the debate to rest.

BAE Systems Land Systems has confirmed that it has no plans to promote its Challenger 2E main battle tank (MBT) for foreign sales, despite reports only a year ago that export customers were being sought.
The news will come as no surprise to industry analysts who have long suspected that the Challenger 2E programme was unlikely to proceed after it failed to win the Hellenic Army's competition for a new MBT in 2002.
The withdrawal of Challenger 2E from the active export market may well signify the end of new MBT building in the UK.
A spokesman for BAE Land Systems said that this newly formed division of BAE Systems would be presenting a strategic business plan in August 2005. He declined to confirm that Challenger 2E would be a part of that plan. Instead, it is thought that the company will focus on the UK's proposed Future Rapid Effects System (FRES).
All work on the Challenger 2E ceased, following six years of development, after it failed to win the Hellenic Army's MBT competition. The Challenger 2E was designed and developed for the Hellenic Army's requirement for a new MBT. However, the Leopard 2A, developed by Krauss-Maffei Wegmann in Germany, was selected over the British Challenger 2E, French Leclerc and US M1A2 Abrams in 2002.The tank has attracted little serious interest since the Greek bid failed.

http://www.janes.com/defence/news/jdi/jdi050518_1_n.shtml

Dean.

Leopard 2 is a great tank, but its all about guiding systems and electronics now so whatever is hyped and massproduced should be best... or something:)

It Is The Best

On Discovery Chanel day say at it`s the best in the world. A nd everything on Discovery Chanel is true:wink: He HE

AlexKall said:
But was hated by those that commanded them haha
Maybe thats because it was designated a tank, when in reality it was more of tank destroyer and should have been used for that specific purpose.

I think the idea of tank destroyers for certain countries is still a feasable idea.

Btw why did those who commanded the S-tanks hate them?

Problems mainly in mud, engine problems, hydralic problems and so on, theres a brief description of why the soldiers (some) hated it and its problems on the internet somewhere, interesting read. They did update it but i wasnt quite enough, hence why it was replaced by STRV 122

Maciste said:
Don't you remember how the Hussein's general kept on saying that they were beating the American Abrams in the last Gulf War? :D :D :D
Nope
The only person who said that was the Minister of Information, not a General.

That guy made me laugh so hard, especially when he said there ware no americans in Iraq and in the background you could see US troops and tanks and waveing soldiers haha

AlexKall said:
That guy made me laugh so hard, especially when he said there ware no americans in Iraq and in the background you could see US troops and tanks and waveing soldiers haha
Unfortunately, I've never seen such footage :(

Ok this horse has been beaten beyond being noticed as a horse. All three Leopard 2, Challneger 2 and M1A2 are all the best, all being built around the same time, using the same or similar systems and all are allies, so yes it's a basically that all three tanks are almost the same.

Leopard wins Greek tank shoot-out

The winner of the Greek Main Battle Tank (MBT) competition is expected to be announced in August this year but results of competition trials obtained by Jane's Defence Weekly have placed the German-made Leopard 2A5 in pole position.

The first batch of MBTs will be for 250 vehicles plus variants. Between October and December 1998 six MBTs carried out extensive firepower and mobility trials in Greece manned by Greek Army crews. These were the French Giat Industries Leclerc; German Krauss-Maffei Wegmann Leopard 2A5 in latest Swedish Strv 122 configuration; Russian Omsk Machine Construction Plant T-80U; Ukrainian Malyshev Plant T-84; UK Vickers Defence Systems Challenger 2E; and the US General Dynamics Land Systems M1A2 Abrams.

Of these six vehicles, out of a maximum possible operational and technical score of 100%, best performing were: Leopard 2A5, 78.65%; M1A2 Abrams, 72.21%; Leclerc, 72.03%; and Challenger, 2E 69.19%

The Leopard 2A5 was the only one with a demonstrated deep fording capability, while the M1A2 had the best firing results during hunter/killer target engagements.

The German 1,500hp MTU EuroPowerPack was fitted in both the Leclerc and the Challenger 2E and these two vehicles had the best cruising range and lower fuel consumption.

According to JDW sources, the recommendation of the Greek Armour Directorate to the Council for Defence Planning and Programme was that the choice be limited to just two vehicles: the German Krauss-Maffei Wegmann Leopard 2A5; and the US General Dynamics Land Systems M1A2 Abrams.

In addition to the results of the operational and technical trials a number of other factors were taken into account, such as the total number of vehicles built, number of users, NATO interoperability and experience of the Greek Army with current German and US MBTs.

While these operational and technical trials will play an important part in the Greek decision-making process, other crucial factors include: the offset arrangements; Greek added value; and politics. Of the above four MBTs, three are currently taking part in the Turkish Land Forces Command MBT trials. These are the Leopard 2A6; Leclerc; and M1A2. Vickers Defence Systems decided to concentrate on just one market, Greece.

The first batch of 250 MBTs and 12 armoured recovery vehicles will be followed by a second batch of 400, with most of these expected to be manufactured in Greece.

Last edited:
Back