The Swedish RBS-70 missile drawings

jackehammond

Folks,

man portable air defense missiles come in two catagories: 1> the shoulder fired type and 2> the tripod fired type.

In the 1980s Sweden's Bofors developed a tripod MANPADS that used laser beam riding guidance. It is considered the only MANPADS that is totally immune to decoying or jamming.

The Aussies recently retired their Rapiers (ie even though the Rapier missile itself is dirty cheap) because they believed it could be jammed. In talks with the US military they came to the conclusion the RBS-70 was unjammable or immune to decoys. Australia is now spending a considerable sum upgrading the RBS-70 to a highly sophisticated system. They are acquiring the new 3rd version of the RBS-70 missile which has a new substainer motor that increases engagement ranges from 5km to 8km and drastically reduces engagement times. Also the new missile is fitted with a new fuze that can be set to engage not only aircraft but helicopters masked by terrain and UAVs.

The drawings are from a 1980 manual sent to me for an article. Bofors at the time gave blanket reprint permission.

Below is a link to an album that covers the 1st volume of the manuals. You will find it extremely interesting. I am adding more pages as I have time. Please indicate if you have the ability to see the pages or not. Also in the nexts several days I will try and post some more drawings and photos.

Jack E. Hammond

PS> To the administrators. I am posting thumbnails which take up very little in the bandwidth of your message board. But I have run afoul of your no more than 17 images (ie I think you have that for people post regular size images). So I am posting a pigback messae with some of the images. I know that this technically against forum policy. I hope you can over look it this one time.

Last edited:
A very good air defence system! The NOR Army bought in several units of this weapon and formed one or two companies for the RBS70 during the early and mid 1990s. On the same time the NASAMS system was on the workbench to replace the Bofors cannon still in use at that time with a more powerfull weapon for static air defence.

Due to the "billion crack" (I am still laughing of this nickname for a Defence Minister :)...) and the new military struckture for the NOR Army the established RBS70 companies were removed and the NASAMS was introduced as the primary ground to air weapon.

It is sad, I really liked this weapon and it had a brilliant position in the army for local air defence and support for units on the ground but bad economical dispositions and the new military struckture has left this outstanding weapon on the other side of the fence.

Is the operator requierd to track the plane all the way until the missle hits?
kind of seems a little risky with the early warning systems and that really pissed off wing man hunting you down seconds after launch.

sleepyscout said:
Is the operator requierd to track the plane all the way until the missle hits?
kind of seems a little risky with the early warning systems and that really pissed off wing man hunting you down seconds after launch.

Dear Member,

The flight time is extremely short, plus both the blip motor and the substainer are smokeless. The missle is almost impossible to see in flight with just the Mk 1 eyeball.

Jack E. Hammond

Back