Swedens attempt to join NATO

Well it looks like Turkey and Sweden have kissed and made up...

Turkey clears way for Swedish NATO membership, in abrupt about face
While far from the official last step for Sweden’s NATO membership, the transmission of Sweden’s Accession Protocol to the Turkish Grand National Assembly all but removes any doubt that the northern European nation will become the alliance’s 32nd member.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/07...wedish-nato-membership-in-abrupt-turn-around/

It sounds as though the deal involves Turkey being admitted to the EU in return for removing its objections.

Yes, I suspected Erdogan should use the meeting in Vilnius, but this new demand will be problematic for him. EU has other demands than NATO

Yes, I suspected Erdogan should use the meeting in Vilnius, but this new demand will be problematic for him. EU has other demands than NATO

Yeah I am not sure the EU wants Turkey but it sounds like some deal has been done to get Sweden over the goal line and at this stage I think that is more important.

I still think a NATO lite deal should be given to Ukraine as well, basically NATO does not directly enter the existing war with Russia but it will if a third party joins in ie Belarus.

Yeah I am not sure the EU wants Turkey but it sounds like some deal has been done to get Sweden over the goal line and at this stage I think that is more important.

I still think a NATO lite deal should be given to Ukraine as well, basically NATO does not directly enter the existing war with Russia but it will if a third party joins in ie Belarus.

Ukraine will probably be an invite after the war, depending on how it ends. Ukraine is somewhat similar as Israel when it comes to the support by Western countries (USA)

Probably F-35s. Sale was cancelled after Turkey bought the S-300 system.

Probably F-35s. Sale was cancelled after Turkey bought the S-300 system.

I would bet it is either more F-16s or upgrades to you two current F-16s, as long as Turkey has the S-400 I doubt the F-35 will ever be on the table.

Hungary is leasing Gripen and the Ukrainians want Gripen and the Hungarians will never see any EU money. Turkey wants to join the EU, that will never happen.

Hungary is leasing Gripen and the Ukrainians want Gripen and the Hungarians will never see any EU money. Turkey wants to join the EU, that will never happen.
If I were NATO I would be very careful about the information I passed on to Hungary.

If I were NATO I would be very careful about the information I passed on to Hungary.
The Swedish police shared classified information about the organized criminal network runned from Turkey with the Turkish police. This information was later found within the criminal network.

Seems Victor's a little grumpy, maybe Sweden should send Orban some bon bons...

I think it is time Hungary moved to the CSTO.
NATO has several options, to not share information with Hungarian officials. Remove all Hungarian officers from different staffs. Sweden can also take their Gripen and give them to Ukraine. Hungary needs NATO and EU, NATO and EU don't need Hungary. Orban needs to decide if he is in or out.

I think it has to do with domestic issues. If Orban and his party had showed up it had looked like a victory for the opposition

NATO has several options, to not share information with Hungarian officials. Remove all Hungarian officers from different staffs. Sweden can also take their Gripen and give them to Ukraine. Hungary needs NATO and EU, NATO and EU don't need Hungary. Orban needs to decide if he is in or out.

I think it has to do with domestic issues. If Orban and his party had showed up it had looked like a victory for the opposition
How?
He had already agreed to signing, in fact he said "Hungary will not be the last to ratify" well he is the last and still dragging his feet by expecting Sweden to negotiate with him, he needs to be sent an message saying "sign it or go play with Putin, you have until the end of the month. Xoxo NATO".

How?
He had already agreed to signing, in fact he said "Hungary will not be the last to ratify" well he is the last and still dragging his feet by expecting Sweden to negotiate with him, he needs to be sent an message saying "sign it or go play with Putin, you have until the end of the month. Xoxo NATO".
Do you mean how we can take his Gripen? Hungary is leasing them

Do you mean how we can take his Gripen? Hungary is leasing them
No, I mean how can this look like a victory for the opposition when he has already agreed to ratify Sweden's entry.

Now he just looks like a petulant school kid being told to do something, what is his next come back, "You're not the boss of me" followed by "My dad can beat up yours"?

No, I mean how can this look like a victory for the opposition when he has already agreed to ratify Sweden's entry.

Now he just looks like a petulant school kid being told to do something, what is his next come back, "You're not the boss of me" followed by "My dad can beat up yours"?
The opposition demanded the additional session in the Hungarian parliament. If Orban and his coalition of parties had showed up for the ratification, it had looked like a victory for the opposition. Orban wants to be in charge of things, but he has lost all credibility in EU and NATO

Back