Sweden. What do you in the rest of the world think of us?

larsrq

After spending some time here in the forum. I have noticed that there are many countries represented here.

So my question is. When it comes to military forces and foregin policy. What do you think of us here in Sweden?

Can we be trusted do do anything, or?

Well, I haven't really heard too much about the swedish militarty. Care to enlighten us? Swedes are great people though.

*Lol*

Well we have on swedish brakträning and that should scare the shit out of any enemy passing by our bunks, dont you think larsrq? :lol: ;)

Cheers:
Doc.S

I believe Sweden makes the best guns barrels in the world. Here in America, a lot of our shooting ranges have a specific Swedish Mauser competition. There are a lot of the old milsurps floating around out there and the m/96 can be had for as low as $200. I lost a high-powered military shoot to a Swede rifle, and I had a $1500 national match AR-15 (semi-auto M-16) ! I was awestruck and I ended up so obsessed about the Swede rifle that I bought three of them. I can get one of rifles to shoot around ¼ MOA! Talk about wicked-sick accuracy.

I hear a lot of the accuracy comes from quality Swedish steel. Seriously, how the hell do you guys do it?

EDIT: Got the Swedes mixed up with the Swiss, heh. :oops:

That's not bad. Didn't president Bush himself mix the Swiss & Swedes up too. Well as a citizen of a neighbouring country I think I can give you some sort of an opinion.

1. Your equipment is great. God knows I've bought a lot of it from the Haparanda surplus store which unfortunaly isn't there anymore. I've got a lot of clothes and boots which are just perfect for outdoor activities like fishing and hunting.

2. Your training is also good, and your Lappland is just as cold as ours.

3. There is however a thing we Finns we find absolutely ridiculous, and that's the fact that your guys can have hairnets in the army.

4. You're our beloved enemy. Nothing beats a Finland vs Sweden icehockey-match. Especially in the finals. :)

5. A Scan-skrovmål would be Gods choice of food. :D

BTW. Anybody from near Haparanda? Do you know is there a surplus-store near Haparanda? Possibly within a 50 kilometers?

The comments so far are as expected. Not that many knows of us, mix us with the Swiss. I think thats interesting.

Ok some about the Swedish military. I guess Doc S probably fill in what I miss :)

Our defence forces consists of regular, reserv officer and conscripts. We don't have any regular NCO at all. A swedish officer are expected to do the jo of a NCO. I've done all the drilling and other basic training for the soldiers myself.

We have 3 major branches, AirForce, Army and Marine (consists of the Navy and the Amphibius corps)

I have served both in the Navy and the AirForce

AirForce
All other fighter planes are developt and built in Sweden. Our most modern fighter is the JAS 39 Gripen, all multirole all purpose jet. We have sold it to South Africa, and on the way to sell it to some other countries. Gripen is a better alternative than F16 and Eurofighter.
The AirForce are built to operate from public highways in time of war. All the ground crew comes on trucks do there thing to the aircraft and the hide.
The weapons are mainly US made. we have our own name for them but it's the same as the Us AirForce uses.

Navy
All our "fighting" ships are Swedish built. We were the first in the world to build a stealth boat, a boat that can't be seen on radar. We are right now deplyoing those kind of boats called the "Visby" class. They are very much constructed to work together with the Gripen fighter. The idea is to deliver the surface missiles launched both from ships and aircrafts to the target at the same time.
The main missiles is a Swedish made called RBS 15 surface to surface missle.

Amphibious corps
Use to be called costal artillery but changed name some years ago when we retire our last fixed costal artilley. It's a higly mobile force that uses small turbojet boats to move around, up to platoon size.
The weapons are the same missile as the Navy but they move them on trucks. They also have a smaller missile that the soldiers can carry. They also have mobile artillery 12 cm made by Bofors in Sweden.

Army
Never served there.

We got German Leopard tanks, "East" German apc, Swedish made Bofors artillery 15,5 cm and lots of other equipment.
We also got some special forces within the Army, Parachute rangers, Artic rangers and SSG ( the only force that only consists of officers, very secret, seen action in Afganistan, Kongo and other unknown places)

Ok thas a start in my training of you in Swedish military :)

Hegario

Have Finland really ever beaten us in Ishockey? :rambo:

I'm sorry but I live far away from Haparanda and the surplus stores are not good anymore because all the military equipment woth using goes to the Baltic states.

Just a question guys, where did the Vikings come from? Sweden? Switzerland? Finland? Norway?

please enlighten me! :lol:

the vikings came from, denmark, sweden and norway.

There was a program on Tv where one of our british tv presenters went to sweden to look at the Visby class corvettes and the swedish military, and i think im remembering right if he saud it was one of the most technologically advanced militaries in the world.

Hegario said:
That's not bad. Didn't president Bush himself mix the Swiss & Swedes up too. Well as a citizen of a neighbouring country I think I can give you some sort of an opinion.

1. Your equipment is great. God knows I've bought a lot of it from the Haparanda surplus store which unfortunaly isn't there anymore. I've got a lot of clothes and boots which are just perfect for outdoor activities like fishing and hunting.

2. Your training is also good, and your Lappland is just as cold as ours.

3. There is however a thing we Finns we find absolutely ridiculous, and that's the fact that your guys can have hairnets in the army.

4. You're our beloved enemy. Nothing beats a Finland vs Sweden icehockey-match. Especially in the finals. :)

5. A Scan-skrovmål would be Gods choice of food. :D

BTW. Anybody from near Haparanda? Do you know is there a surplus-store near Haparanda? Possibly within a 50 kilometers?

yeah i agree, :)

They're the other Switzerland, they always stay neutral. They have some solid military hardware and a fantastic bikini team. :lol:

Can we be trusted do do anything, or?
The World can count Sweden as a voice for neutrality and never taking sides in much of anything. Not sure it always a positive thing though.

The ship can be seen on radar though, even though it does limit the radar bouncing back to the radar unit which makes it hard to detect but not invisible ;)

Nothing stealthy today is completely invisible, but its hard to detect and can sometimes make the operator see it as something else then it really is, because the radar signature is smaller then what it should be compared to the size :D

Alex I know what you mean but the orginal test vessel "Smyge" was beyond hard to spot on radar. "Been there tested it" :)

The Visby class is much bigger and it wasn't possible to get it real stealth mainly because of the size ~60 meter long. But the once that are looking for it must know that it is a "stealth" ship that they are looking after and adjust their radar after it.

Back