A Swede In The US Military?

EagleHammer

I wonder if it is possible for me to join The US Army or Marines.?

Mod edit: Do not double post. Use the edit button.

Oh Forgot, With out a Green Card.?

Last edited by a moderator:
EagleHammer said:

You would need a Green Card.

EagleHammer said:

what's wrong with sweden military, not exciting enough?

You would need to be a resident here in the U.S. Also to become an officer you will need to be a citizen.

A Chinese In The US Military?

Oh Forgot, With out a Green Card.?:bang: :bang: :bang:

When I was recalled to duty after 9/11 one of the people that was mobilized to my command was a young lady that was from Jamica. She was not naturalized at the time but was serving. She could not hold a security clearance or do any jobs that required one. I don't know if she had a green card or not.

During my active duty in the early 70's men from the Phillipines were allowed to join the U.S. Navy. There were some of them working in ratings that required secuirty clearances.

They joined directly from the Phillipines and shipped to San Diego for bootcamp.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Does that mean women are also drafted?

Well I thought you ware refering to men as I think he's a man (Eagle). Women are not drafted yet, it has however been considered to make a draft for women aswell.

The swedish army and special forces are up there with some of the best in the world. As far as I am aware there is only one way you can join US military without a green card. This is by nomination. If you get nominated by the minister of Defence of your country and if US accepts.

Yes a non citizen can serve and in fact many already do
http://www.ailf.org/ipc/policy_reports_2003_pr001_soldier.asp

If you are a US citizen wanting to join another countries army you might want to read this first
http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_780.html

I have met a retired Army Staff Sergeant that served in Iraq who is working on his citizenship, when he told me that I was shocked that he wasnt a citizen yet put his life on the line for our country...

I believe they would have reduced secruity clearance

Last edited:
Actually out of the draftees about 15000 gets to do military service in sweden (last figure I've read about), and if you want to go career you're in for alot of competition.

there are tens of thousands of people applying for the job and most spots are allready filled. Good for the military (they can pick the most promising ones) bad for the individuals (less chance of getting in).

You can check the swedish site soldf.com's forum for a similar thread like this one, if I remember correctly there should be a thread already with exact info on what you need to do and have, and yes greencard is required, and for any security-clearance you have to be a resident. I was thinking about doing this to a while back and would just like to say that you should think things through first, if you try for this you can expect to wait a long time just for a green card. I'd advise you to call the US Embassy in stockholm and have them give you the phone-number for the recruiter in germany.

any friendly nation can join the sefvice. Even during the viet nam war, there were more canadians going south to enlist than draft dodgers going north. All that is required is a clean background, a good speaking and writing knowledge of english, and good intellegence. Dummies can't work the goodies the army has. check out the U.S.Army web sites, and get all your papers in place.

Back