Surrender

The civilians of Singapore suffered greatly under Japanese rule , many Singapore civilians blamed the British surrendering for the cause of their misery , many Filipinos blamed the Americans for they're plight , many American Soldiers felt the Filipinos were useless and could have done more .

You are right the civilians of Singapore suffered greatly as did nearly all the nations in the Japanese Empire. If I'm not mistaken 100's of thousands of people - civilians from Singapore, the Philippines and the Dutch East Indies were killed by the Japanese. The Japanese considered themselves superior to the other Asian nations and treated the conquered peoples brutally. Millions of Chinese civilians were also killed. As for the poor American and British POW's they were likewise treated with great cruelty. Over 30% didn't survive captivity.

You are right the civilians of Singapore suffered greatly as did nearly all the nations in the Japanese Empire. If I'm not mistaken 100's of thousands of people - civilians from Singapore, the Philippines and the Dutch East Indies were killed by the Japanese. The Japanese considered themselves superior to the other Asian nations and treated the conquered peoples brutally. Millions of Chinese civilians were also killed. As for the poor American and British POW's they were likewise treated with great cruelty. Over 30% didn't survive captivity.

One of my uncles was a POW at Sandekan in Borneo, by the Japanese surrender only 6 Australians survived the slaughter out of over 2500 British and Australian POWs.

What an awful inexcusable tragedy.

My Grandmother and Grandfather never got over his death, she left a light burning in her window until the day she died. She hoped that one day he would come home. He has no known grave, so his name is on the wall of Kranji war memorial in Singapore along with thousands of others.

My Grandmother and Grandfather never got over his death, she left a light burning in her window until the day she died. She hoped that one day he would come home. He has no known grave, so his name is on the wall of Kranji war memorial in Singapore along with thousands of others.

If you needed more photo's of that I may be passing through there in a couple of weeks, I can take more if I have a stop over although this time I am renting a car as it is miles from the nearest taxi stand.

If you needed more photo's of that I may be passing through there in a couple of weeks, I can take more if I have a stop over although this time I am renting a car as it is miles from the nearest taxi stand.

If its no problem Monty I'd be most grateful if you did.

Thanks mate.

Back