• Poorly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Decently

• As best as possible

• Total voters

Spartacus

I am in a college level speech class, and one of the assignments is to give a persuasive speech. For my topic I chose Supporting the Troops, and who better to ask than the people in this forum. I was wondering if people had ideas on what people can do to support troops, how this support (or lack thereof) affects the military, or just anything you have to say on this topic. I am using this forum itself as the source, so I wont need any real ID or anything. Thank you for the time.

It is a big hit on morale. they look for support from home and most of the time, all they get are turned shoulders and upturned noses. the amount varies as well. there are some who are just stupid and confused so they dont support just because they dont like Bush or the current political state. they believe that all the soldiers agree with Bush and are just bloodthirsty animals out there. then there are those who just despise soldiers in general. take that one guy from forsakethetroops.com. forgot his name but hes just a jackass for saying what he does. he makes no sense and just accuses and accuses without having a backbone to his argument.

but there are some people who understand that the soldiers should not be involved with the disapproval of the government or in politics in general. they are the ones that say "you know what, i dont agree with why you are over there, but i will do what i can to help you get home safely." they are the ones who understand.

When I was in the service, the most uplifting part of the day was mail call. Rather than a group hug, the soldier needs to feel a little personal interaction again. Most soldiers have family to communicate with but there are many with no one. I think these guys and gals can located through some online groups who can provide a pen pal type communication line. We sent things to my Brother-in-Law that he couldn't get in the field like powdered chocolate drink while he was in Vietnam. He told my Wife that the thought of expecting something, regardless of what it was, made time pass a little faster. When you are away from home, it doesn't matter how many buddies you make, you feel some isolation from home.

I say decently because there are a lot of people out there who support our troops but there are also a lot of people who don't. But they sort of balance each other out.
I don't think that people should not support our troops. If they don't support Bush, fine, but why not support our Men and Women. It's not like they necessarily want to be out fighting this war. It wasn't their personal decision to start the war. We should be supporting our troops because they are giving a lot of themselves to help us be free. The people who don't respect them are not decent people and I'd have to say that they take their freedom for granted.
(So that's my late night rant.)

My guess is decently, theres always those that hate them rather then supporting them and in that sence not all are doing their best. Same in any type of armed conflict.

I would say that the troops today get a lot more support than when I was in VietNam in 1968 & 1969. When I left active duty in August of 1969, I never felt so, I don't know how to fully express the feelings, a mixture of abandonment, scorn & disdain. I was proud of what I did during my year in VietNam, rebuilding roads mainly, but nonetheless I wasn't a "babykiller" or anything remotely like that but many people accused us Vietnam Vets of being all of the worst things imaginable. It hurt. and it took many years for me to come to peace in my mind with all of that. Many of those years I was jealous of many of my peers from college and high school who did not serve one day of service for their country and who had progressed farther than me in their careers. I felt that I was starting my career again with a five year deficit. I learned to forget all of that and move on. I also know that I have experience that they will never have the advantage of knowing. So again, I feel that today's service men and women are getting a little better deal, perhaps based on the guilty consciences of those who berated and reviled the VietNam Vets. This is the first time in more than 35 years I have ever said anything on this subject, except to fellow VietNam vets, and it has been good doing it.

I personally support the troops all the way, 110%. America on the whole, on the other hand, has the people who are standing with picket signs and protesting the war. Thats why I voted decently. If it was me personally then I definately would have put very much.

tomtom22 said:
This is the first time in more than 35 years I have ever said anything on this subject, except to fellow VietNam vets, and it has been good doing it.

Well said Tomtom, and my generation, and even lots of Generation X,Y, Z'ds, have tremendous respect for you Vietnam vets

:salute2:

I think the troops are supported by 95 percent of the population. They all want the best for the troops, what tehy think is the best is individual opinion.

TomTom, I for one am glad you have broken your silence to the rest of the population. Its important for people to hear from the Vets themselves how the actions and words of the general populace affect a soldier on an individual and personal level. Respect.

I voted poorly. Reason being is that the poor morale in some units over in Iraq is in my opinion owing directly to the open dissent and criticism at home that they are painfully aware of. It is making them doubt their mission. THIS is not healthy and it helps no one.

Thank you all for your participation, I specifically appreciate the answers derived from 1st hand knowledge, such as yours Colonel. This being said, there was mention of various ways in which to communicate with troops. What would be some other ways that you have seen in which to support our troops. Example; I understand that KoolAid was a precious commodity in Vietnam in order to mask the flavor of purification tablets in water. Troops would often request such items to be mailed. What are other ideas, things, or suggestions that are practical or even in current use that people may not be aware of?

Back