Support your political opponents

mmarsh

No president is all good or all bad, we frequently lamblast president with opposite political opinions then our own. In this thread name 1 or 2 GOOD things (policy, not I like his tie) about a president you normally dislike.

For example, I heartily dislike W, so I will name two things that I liked that he did.

1. His support and encouragement for broadband technology. As an IT professional (NOTE: for normals that means computer geek :)) myself the USA is ranked #16 in the world as best wired for broadband. In Europe it is easily available, faster (ADSL2) and very cheap (about $10 a month). Bush to his credit has been pushing broadband companies to expand in the US so that easily available for all. This will help not all individuals, but businesses (and there fore the economy as well).

2. He slashed the sacred cow of Farm Subsides. Bush has always been the poster boy for big business, but his decision to end the agro-business farms subsides took everyone for a loop. Ending Farm subsides was a move that was long overdue. He is even offered eliminating the subsides all together if the G8 does the same.

Doody said:
Can we add Senators and Government Figures too?

If so, I am interested to see what you have to say about Rummy ;)

Sure, but thats a toughie...let me see... let me see...

Well Rummy did kill a few DOD projects that needed the axe the Comanche, the Crusader Artillery project, reduced the number of F/A-22s.

Yuck that was awful, defending Rumsfeld, I need a bath...

I liked the crusader and we need all the F-22s we can get. Comance was a 100% great call though, antiquated and useless with the advent of UAVs that can fire hellfire missiles.

Uh, I don't much like Clinton. I blame him for most of America's current foreign policy problems. But I will give him credit in being a leader. He would have done a much better job reassuring the nation after the Katrina disaster and I doubt it would have been as bad if Clinton was in office, he was the kind of guy that could get the government to respond fast to that kind of thing. Bush doesn't have the same leadership Clinton had. When Bush tries to re-assure me I somehow feel worse. Bush only felt like a leader from 9/11/2001 to 3/19/2003 (beginning of Iraq War). Before and since then he's just been a politician.

I like Hillary Clinton for maybe maybe (havent seen if its true yet) bringing the democrats back to the center and being a viable voteing option for working class americans.

John Kerry

1. He is set against drilling in the Alaskan Artic Refuge.

2. I feel he would have been more benefitial to alternative fuel technology development than Bush.

Bill Clinton

1. Brought government spending under control.

2. Sent me to Kosovo 8)

3. He passed the Welfare Reform Bill which put a lot of lazy freeloaders back to work.

Donald Rumsfeld

1. Helped bring SOME needed changes to modernize the military (like the Brigade Combat Team)

2. ummmm, I will get back to you

Mmarsh, I took personal pleasure in seeing you squirm to praise Rummy :firedevi: Did you know someone actually called him the "God of Modern Warfare." I read it while trying to find a 2nd thing to praise him on.

1. He is set against drilling in the Alaskan Artic Refuge.

your saying thats a good thing?

I dont think horny reighndeer should affect national policy.

Rev Jackson.

- At least hes religeious.

Doody

You wanted to be sent to Kosovo? or are you pulling my leg?

Whispering Death

I like the F-22A too, its a amazing airplane. But the truth is do we really need it to fight against terrorism. Terrorists dont use Jet fighters or Air Defence systems and at $133 Million a copy you could buy almost 150 Tomahawks for the same price. We should have a few 'just in case' but its too late, too expensive, and not needed for the seeable future.

At the time, I was really sick of training in the back 40 (the name of Ft. Campbell's training area). So I started to volunteer for any deployment that came down the pipe. I went after Haiti but as my job goes, the company was only taking Staff Sergeants. Then Bosnia came along. I was down in Ft. Polk training to be the quick reaction force when my brigade commander cancelled our mission. While I was on leave, the Kosovo mission came around. My platoon Sergeant automatically put me in for it since I had volunteered for the other 2 deployments.

All off-topic posts have been deleted.

Topic reminder:
name 1 or 2 GOOD things (policy, not I like his tie) about a president you normally dislike.

Please stay on topic from now on, or else I'll be forced to lock this thread.

Thanks.

Back