Supertanks?!?!

Ever seen a Soviet Tank up close? Clammered onto a T 62 at muesum once...

I understand the low profile concept but I couldn't imagine having to spend any length of time squeezed inside one of Comrade Khrushchev's Fighting machines.

Which considering the idea of a super tank which is this threads namesake, it better have standing room in it.
after the Kuwait deal a Marine Reserve unit in the town I live in was allowed to display a T-72 that they captured in front of their building.... by that time I was to fat to have fit through the hatches... but would have loved to have gotten into the turret to look around... I trained on M-48's... ended my Vietnam tour in Sheridan s and went into Sheridan s at Ft. Bragg with the 4/68th when I came home... after viewing what an A-10 could do to a tank I decided Infantry was the way to go when I got out and entered the Reserves... But, would have liked to see the inside of the Soviet vehicles and of course the Abrams... the Chieftains, the Leopards, that sleek tank of the Israeli's -- hell, there be all kinds of new toys this old horse soldier would like to see... y'all had all the fun;)

after the Kuwait deal a Marine Reserve unit in the town I live in was allowed to display a T-72 that they captured in front of their building.... by that time I was to fat to have fit through the hatches... but would have loved to have gotten into the turret to look around... I trained on M-48's... ended my Vietnam tour in Sheridan s and went into Sheridan s at Ft. Bragg with the 4/68th when I came home... after viewing what an A-10 could do to a tank I decided Infantry was the way to go when I got out and entered the Reserves... But, would have liked to see the inside of the Soviet vehicles and of course the Abrams... the Chieftains, the Leopards, that sleek tank of the Israeli's -- hell, there be all kinds of new toys this old horse soldier would like to see... y'all had all the fun;)

You mean the Merkava?

merkava4_2.jpg

You don't have to like the Israelies to admit it is a amazing design.

Also I think the term "Super tank" this thread's namesake could also loosely be applied to a tank with "super" capability, not just super proportions. Sorta like an F 22A.

Size isn't always everything...

And ditto on the old Comrade Tanks of the Cold War, tell you what you drive and I'll keep the lid on the cooler. I am sure we bust out those ammo racks in the hull and put a mean ice machine in there.:wink:

Who operates the Chieftans these days as they were retired countless years ago

Not sure, I think even Israel has taken their Reserve Chieftans out of service, although I can't confirm this. Even in reserve , Israeli Chieftans were modernized upon their retiring from active fronline service giving them expanded capabilies.

Oh and Rumors abound of Iran copying the Chieftans with their Mobarez Tank. Although little information exsist.

You mean the Merkava?

merkava4_2.jpg

You don't have to like the Israelies to admit it is a amazing design.

Also I think the term "Super tank" this thread's namesake could also loosely be applied to a tank with "super" capability, not just super proportions. Sorta like an F 22A.

Size isn't always everything...

And ditto on the old Comrade Tanks of the Cold War, tell you what you drive and I'll keep the lid on the cooler. I am sure we bust out those ammo racks in the hull and put a mean ice machine in there.:wink:
yepper, that be the one....... just looks *mean* to me...

Who operates the Chieftans these days as they were retired countless years ago
I think I just aged myself.......... damnnnnnnnn, does the fact that I marched with Hannibal really show? Aaaaaaaaaaah, but that *ransacking* and *pillaging*, did have its merits......:mrgreen:

Yossarian..........I think that you will find that the Israelis have the even older Centurion in reserve and not the Chieftain. Three Centurions stopped a whole division of Syrian tanks some years back.

Yossarian..........I think that you will find that the Israelis have the even older Centurion in reserve and not the Chieftain. Three Centurions stopped a whole division of Syrian tanks some years back.

Quite Correct you are, mind my error

But the fun of research has led to certain information being found on the Iranian design of the Chieftain however.

And this time I am meaning the correct tank, aparently along with a different night sight and Iranian built engine supposedly with more power was installed.

Apart from cosmetic differences I don't know for sure how different under the hood the Iranian design is from the orginal Chieftain its adapted from, but as for capabilities it shouldn't be to far from it's British Brethren.

If you count this as still in active service, then in a loose sense yes, in spirit at least the Chieftain is still very much around.

Back