Super Tuesday Republican Primary .....

Chief Bones

Forums Grumpy Old Man
An indication of just how crazy the Republican Primary has gotten here in Michigan, is the fact that the Democratic Party in Detroit are phoning Michiganders and are urging Democrats to vote for Santorum in order to defeat Romney.

If Democrats do so, then Romney will be roundly defeated .. causing an even greater meltdown of the Republican Party than it has already suffered.

An indication of just how crazy the Republican Primary has gotten here in Michigan, is the fact that the Democratic Party in Detroit are phoning Michiganders and are urging Democrats to vote for Santorum in order to defeat Romney.

If Democrats do so, then Romney will be roundly defeated .. causing an even greater meltdown of the Republican Party than it has already suffered.
Primaries should be Closed only!

Never happen. Americans will never allow themselves to be forced to declare only one party - they like to be allowed to crossover when one candidate is better politically in their view.

Never happen. Americans will never allow themselves to be forced to declare only one party - they like to be allowed to crossover when one candidate is better politically in their view.
We're not talking about a General Election. The Primary Election is for Party members to choose who their Candidate is going to be. It replaced the old "Smoke filled rooms" where Party bosses decided who ran for what. There is no way a non-Party member should be allowed to vote in another Party's Primary.

We're not talking about a General Election. The Primary Election is for Party members to choose who their Candidate is going to be. It replaced the old "Smoke filled rooms" where Party bosses decided who ran for what. There is no way a non-Party member should be allowed to vote in another Party's Primary.

SORRY .....

I know there are some states where the primary is closed (you have to declare you are Repub or Dem), however .. personally - I am in favor of the open primaries. I am also in favor of proportional delegate apportionment instead of winner take all.

SORRY .....

I know there are some states where the primary is closed (you have to declare you are Repub or Dem), however .. personally - I am in favor of the open primaries. I am also in favor of proportional delegate apportionment instead of winner take all.
The problem is "Others" then can vote for whom they think will be the weakest & easiest candidate to beat.

The problem is "Others" then can vote for whom they think will be the weakest & easiest candidate to beat.

So what???

That's politics .. it is also the American way that this Republic has basically existed for over 200 years. I think it has worked fairly well.

Don't you???

So what???

That's politics .. it is also the American way that this Republic has basically existed for over 200 years. I think it has worked fairly well.

Don't you???
Screwing with who is nominated by another Party is just wrong. And yes we have closed Primaries here.

Screwing with who is nominated by another Party is just wrong. And yes we have closed Primaries here.

Sorry ... but having an affect on who is nominated to run for President, is a right that I reserve for myself and my fellow citizens. You can't do that when the nomination process is closed in any way.

Sorry ... but having an affect on who is nominated to run for President, is a right that I reserve for myself and my fellow citizens. You can't do that when the nomination process is closed in any way.
nonsence! Members of Party A have no right to interfere with Party Bs selection process. You have a right to vote for whoever you want to in a General Election, but some argue that there is no actual specific right to vote for President.

nonsence! Members of Party A have no right to interfere with Party Bs selection process. You have a right to vote for whoever you want to in a General Election, but some argue that there is no actual specific right to vote for President.

Nonsense (comment is BS as far as I am concerned) .....

I have a Constitutional right to vote for whoever the hell I want - that includes crossing the "so called" party line (being a primary instead of an election makes no difference). Under our form of government, it is one man one vote and NOWHERE does it make a distinction between what kind of a vote it is (primary or election).

I seem to remember an election just a little while ago, when the very first black man was running for election to the Office of the President, and .. republicans were crossing over in droves in an effort to keep Obama from being selected as the Democratic Party's candidate. I didn't hear one single Republican complaining. I guess it depends what party you are from and what candidate you are trying to block doesn't it?????

Nobody will ever convince me that a closed primary is really Constitutional (even though some states DO have closed primaries). The Constitution does NOT make any kind of distinction between primary and election as far as voting is concerned.

Nonsense (comment is BS as far as I am concerned) .....

I have a Constitutional right to vote for whoever the hell I want - that includes crossing the "so called" party line (being a primary instead of an election makes no difference). Under our form of government, it is one man one vote and NOWHERE does it make a distinction between what kind of a vote it is (primary or election).

I seem to remember an election just a little while ago, when the very first black man was running for election to the Office of the President, and .. republicans were crossing over in droves in an effort to keep Obama from being selected as the Democratic Party's candidate. I didn't hear one single Republican complaining. I guess it depends what party you are from and what candidate you are trying to block doesn't it?????

Nobody will ever convince me that a closed primary is really Constitutional (even though some states DO have closed primaries). The Constitution does NOT make any kind of distinction between primary and election as far as voting is concerned.
They didn't have Primaries back then. As was said earlier the Party Bosses made the decisions. Primaries are a more democratic way for Party members to have a say in who their Party is going to run. Republicans wern't crossing over to stop Obama, it was to keep Obama & Clinton fighting & using up money. It wasn't right & niether was Democrats reviving McCain's dead candidacy. So I guess you are OK with Rush Limbaugh's Operation Chaos?

They didn't have Primaries back then. As was said earlier the Party Bosses made the decisions. Primaries are a more democratic way for Party members to have a say in who their Party is going to run. Republicans wern't crossing over to stop Obama, it was to keep Obama & Clinton fighting & using up money. It wasn't right & niether was Democrats reviving McCain's dead candidacy. So I guess you are OK with Rush Limbaugh's Operation Chaos?

Whether I care for Limbaugh's LOC or not is immaterial. He has the constitutional right to have ANY political opinion he wants (as do I).

BTW - I remember some of the Republican's (and Tea Party), shenanigans that were carried out in an attempt to defeat Obama's run for the Presidency. They weren't all carried out in an attempt to keep the fight between Clinton and Obama alive, some of them were carried out because Obama was black.

Don't try to tell me that the Republican's and the Tea Partiers were clean as pure driven snow with their politics - it won't wash..

Whether I care for Limbaugh's LOC or not is immaterial. He has the constitutional right to have ANY political opinion he wants (as do I).

BTW - I remember some of the Republican's (and Tea Party), shenanigans that were carried out in an attempt to defeat Obama's run for the Presidency. They weren't all carried out in an attempt to keep the fight between Clinton and Obama alive, some of them were carried out because Obama was black.

Don't try to tell me that the Republican's and the Tea Partiers were clean as pure driven snow with their politics - it won't wash..
Someone's political opinions and meddling with another Party's internal affairs(that's what a Primary is) is 2 diffrent things. "If Obama was white the Republicans wouldn't be opposed to _____" is a common Liberal fantasy, so many forget that ClintonCare recieved the same opposition as ObamaCare. Yes there were idiots who voted against Obama for no reason that he is black, but there were way more idiots who voted for him because he is black & thought that would be cool, giving no thought to his politics or policies.

^ you speak the truth George :rock:

"His truth" .....

There is the other side of the political opinion polls etc.

Whether you like it or not, everybody has the right to their opinion .. and by extension, the right to vote in any primary they wish or for any party they want during an election OR a primary.

The Constitution and the Bill of Rights guarantee us that option and NOBODY can take it away from us.

It's the open primaries (Republicans voting in Democrativ primaries) that kept the Clinton vs Obama contest going longer than what it would have otherwise? True or False ?

It doesn't hurt democracy for those who are loyal members of a particular party to choose their own candidate excluding non-party members from voting, and thus employing their strategies/tactics to sabotage the opposition party.

Closed primaries protect democarcy I think.

I do tend to agree with you Chief about proportional delegate allocation.

In the Primaries proportional voting is accepteble to me. One big problem is The Media tries to stampede eeveryone to narrow down a field to 1 or 2 very quickly before most have a chance to vote, & it's nonrepresentive States like Iowa & New Hampshire have an influence far out of proportion to their size & importance in the real world. I'd like to see 5 10 State primaries, each group alphabetical with the order that the groups vote rotating each cycle. A-B-C-D-E this time, B-C-D-E-A in '16 & so on.

Back