Super Bowl XLV ...

Chief Bones

Forums Grumpy Old Man
(CNN) -- Aaron Rodgers inspired the Green Bay Packers to a 31-25 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLV at the Cowboys Stadium in Dallas Sunday night.

It is the fourth time the Packers have claimed the Vince Lombardi trophy, holding off a comeback by the Steelers, who had trailed 21-3 approaching the half.

Lombardi was a former coach of the Packers, leading them to the first two Super Bowls staged before succumbing to cancer in 1970.

Star quarterback Rodgers made three touchdown passes, two to Greg Jennings, as he won his personal battle with his Steelers' counterpart Ben Roethlisberger, who was bidding for a third Super Bowl ring.

Playing his first Super Bowl, Rodgers gave an immaculate display as he completed 24 of 39 passes for 304 yards.

Jennings finished with four catches for 64 yards and his two touchdowns while Jordy Nelson had a game-high 140 yards receiving for the Green Bay, who had waited 13 years since their last Super Bowl triumph in 1997.

Named MVP, Rodgers paid tribute to his teammates, "this great group of men, who showed a lot of character."
While the Green Bay offensive play was lackluster at times, their defensive play was the difference and acted as the glue that held the game together and won them another Super Bowl Ring.

SUPER BOWL XLV STATISTICS
....... 1 ..... 2 .... 3 .... 4 .... TOTAL
PIT .. 0 .... 10 ... 7 .... 8 .... 25
GB ... 4 .... 7..... 0 .... 10 ... 31
Green Bay 31 Pittsburg 25

A Rodgers
Passes 24-39
304 YDS
3 TDS

B Roethlisberger
Passes 25-40
263 YDS
2 TDS

I was a bit iffy about watching the game (because every time I have watched the Packers play they have lost) but in the end I did and I thought the Green Bay defense was particularly ineffective through Quarters 2-3.

Back