Sun Tzu: The Art of War

I read it and liked it and the most facinating thing is, that he wrote it so long ago and most of the things were usefull till today.

I like the book because out of all the older military stagedy books I have read it makes the most sense. Most armies of that day beleived strength against strength was the way to go instead of surgical strikes against weak positions and using espinoige to maximize the most out of the situation. (sorry if I mispell I am on a public computer so the spell check doesn't work)

Little trivia on the Art of War.

Taoisim considers the Art of War a religious text. One of my mates studies Taoisim in great detail and that just came up in a conversation.

Bet most of youse didn't know that ;)

Sun Tzu, exaggerated? To some, yes. However, his emphasis on creating friction is the factor that makes a great offensive army. IMHO, Clausewitz wasn't as good a tactician as SunTzu, as most of his efforts were geared towards defense (i.e. reducing friction)

It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on. (ch II)

- regrettably true.

Any idea where I can find an online copy of Sun Tzu Bing Fa? btw, Sun Tzu's father, or is it his son?, Sun Bing also wrote a military tactics. You should read about it and compare the methods used!

Sun Tzu no Rocket Scientist.

The Art of War is a very good book, but, a second grader could read it and comprehend it. It's common sense most of it.
-Always have the high ground.
-Attack where the enemy isn't inspecting.
-Attack the weakest Flank.
-Diversions.

Basic stuff here folks.
The Prince, is another book of equal proportion, a much better read in my opinion. If you dont no who it's by then...:roll:
-FMJ-

FULLMETALJACKET said:
The Art of War is a very good book, but, a second grader could read it and comprehend it. It's common sense most of it.
-Always have the high ground.
-Attack where the enemy isn't inspecting.
-Attack the weakest Flank.
-Diversions.

Basic stuff here folks.
The Prince, is another book of equal proportion, a much better read in my opinion. If you dont no who it's by then...:roll:
-FMJ-

The Art of War cannot be taken lightly as just basic knowledge.The book's purpose is to arouse the minds abilities at warfare and strategy,it shows you the way,but doesn't teach it,allowing the individual to carve their own path to victory.

Amateurs read Sun Tzu.

Professionals think Sun Tzu.

As for the Prince I have to agree with you with greatness,but not on equal par with Sun Tzu.The author Machiavelli is no doubt a political genius,but Sun Tzu would do things that Machiavelli would consider low and dishonorable.

So if you compare those two ,I believe Sun Tzu would win.

I'm not trying to demote the worth of The Prince as a matter of fact it's one of my favorite books and I read it at every opportunity,the things that Machiavelli states are things that I would have never even thought of in a million years,but when it comes up against Eastern philosophy it just doesn't cut it.

zander_0633 said:
Any idea where can I find that book? The Prince? Is it a strategy guide?
It's not really a strategy book.

It's a book on politics written by the political genius Niccolo Machiavelli.It advocates on how to rule a country with relative ease and dominate the political battleground.

Although many of the things mentioned in the book are now associated with Tolitarian Dictatorships.

You can find it in any bookstore.

The Art of War cannot be taken lightly as just basic knowledge.The book's purpose is to arouse the minds abilities at warfare and strategy,it shows you the way,but doesn't teach it,allowing the individual to carve their own path to victory.

Amateurs read Sun Tzu.

Professionals think Sun Tzu.

Amateurs comprehend Sun Tzu.

Professionals understand Sun Tzu.

The Art of War isnt a light read.
But you dont need to dig to deep.
my reference to a child understanding was mainly to the simplicity of the book, not the subject matter itself, the text would have to be absorbed by a mature mind to mean something, but for the idea's a child could show you using any civilization game on the market.

there. but, yea you can pick it up in any major book store cheaper than you could online try your local books a million or barnes and noble.

Ok, thanks! Any idea if thry sell it in Chinese? Cause I think the chinese version is better and it is the original scripts!

dunno just ry, good luck, if you dont want the topic locked lets stop talking back and forth PM me if needed. good day.

Back