Suit Up, America

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
New York Daily News
November 29, 2006
By Michael Goodwin
Never mind that Rep. Charlie Rangel wants to bring back the military draft for the wrong reasons. He still has a good idea.
The Manhattan Democrat and Korean War vet is on a lonely crusade to require military conscription. That he has close to zero support in public opinion and Congress means the issue will not get a fair hearing. That could be a fatal mistake. With Islamic terrorism growing around the globe, and with much of Europe throwing up its hands in exasperation and surrender, America needs to debate the size of our armed forces. Once again, the free world may depend on us.
We now have about 200,000 troops in or near Iraq and Afghanistan, and our top commander in the region, Gen. John Abizaid, said increasing that total by even 20,000 would not be sustainable.
"When you look at the overall American force pool that's available out there, the ability to sustain that commitment issimply not something that we have right now with the size of the Army and the Marine Corps," Abizaid told the Senate recently.
Imagine that - we're the world's lone superpower. We have a population of 300 million, 60 million of whom are between the ages of 18 and 35. And we don't have the forces to fight one and a half insurgent wars at the same time.
The war against Islamofascism, which I call World War III, is not easily won or ended. As of this past Sunday, we have been in Iraq longer than it took to win World War II. We don't know what tomorrow will bring, so it is foolish to risk our future by having insufficient troops.
Rangel, unfortunately, doesn't make his case for the draft on those terms. He wants to ditch the greatest all-volunteer Army ever assembled because he believes a draft will make war less likely. His reasoning is that if a President and Congress had children in uniform, we'd be a nation of pacifists. Speaking of Iraq, he wrote in an essay for this newspaper that "decision makers would never have supported the invasion if more of them had family members in line for deployment."
That is a slander, but par for Rangel's course. As he often does, he also plays the race card. He wrote that "the great majority" of soldiers in Iraq are poor, and cited New York City, where, he said, "70% of the volunteers were black or Hispanic." That's not a telling fact when you consider that nearly 80% of students in public schools are black or Hispanic and have been for nearly two decades.
But ultimately, the point of the draft is not only about who serves, but whether America has the military it needs to protect our country. With the Army struggling to meet its recruitment goal of 80,000 troops despite signing bonuses of nearly $40,000 and other benefits, we may have reached the limit of the volunteer Army.
And there is another advantage to the draft: It's good for young people to serve their country. A Daily News editorial, which opposed the draft, still said Rangel "is on target when he posits that - at, say, age 18 - young citizens owe the country something, a democratizing sentiment if ever one was, a national call across all lines of race and creed and color." The paper said that mandatory national service "warrants discussion."
Indeed it does - and the draft should be part of it. Otherwise, there may come a time when our survival will depend on the tender mercies of people like Osama Bin Laden.

This is just silly. Rangel's proposed reasoning that if the rich and powerful had children in uniform then wars wouldn't happen is assuming so many incredibly stupid things that it's difficult to just pick one.
First of all I am old enough to remember when our country had its last draft. Although I left college to enlist the year before my draft number would have come up, I can still recall the anxiety of my fellow students whose main reason for being in college was to maintain their draft deferments. Those people would not and did not serve in the military. Oh some of them filled their perceived obligation to their country via the "peace corps" but the vast majority felt no obligation to serve whatsoever and did not make the slightest effort to do so. I suspect any new draft would have similar deferments for the children of those same rich and powerful. I have to believe that they will not serve again just as in the past.
Now I realize that Rangel is just posturing and I assume that he has no real illusion about a draft being reinstated but his assumptions are inane. His reasoning also suggests that we (America) start all wars and that if we would just stay home so would everyone else and peace would rule the earth; idiot! His presumptions are beyond belief but the fact that he has other people like the author of the above article now giving a draft consideration might be more unbelievable. I don't know about anyone else but, as I read the article I found myself just shaking my head.

DTOP

First of all Rangel was drafted in to the Army for Vietnam. So he does have some background when it comes to drafts. Secondly, I don't think Rangels goal is to assume that reinstating the draft will end all wars but rather it will discourage future presidents from using the military as recklessly as the current one was has. I believe that the current Administration has a view of the military that dates back to the Feudal area. That is to say the military are pawns of the leader (not Congress), to be used and sacrificed as necessary. This is completely unacceptable.

One of the key points behind this bill is that unlike the 1960's draft there are *NO* deferments. Everybody goes. No college deferments, no hiding in the national guard, no peace corps ducks, etc...

It's a bag of hot air, nothing else. It stands zero chance of passing, Rangel knows it and therefore its sole purpose is nothing more than political bluster.
Not that it has any bearing on anything but, Rangel is way too old for Vietnam, Korea maybe but not Vietnam. His military experience has nothing to do with anything. He's a dyed in the wool, minority pandering, urban Democrat that believes that the Federal government should be everybody's sugar daddy. Check his record out for yourself. I come from "his neighborhood" and I never cared much for him before and even less now.
Our current President never committed any troops without the consent of the congress, btw. See http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/10/20021002-2.html
for the Joint Resolution to Authorize the Use of United States Armed Forces Against Iraq. You won't find your distasteful phrase "pawns of the leader" or even the word pawn anywhere in it.
Back to the matter of the draft. Rangel did the same thing and his first bill proposing a draft was brought to a vote in '04 and surprise, surprise Rangel voted against his own bill. How can anyone take this grandstanding joker or anything he says seriously?

Back