Suicides in Gitmo: coordinated or not?

--

June 13th, 2006  
Ted

Topic: Suicides in Gitmo: coordinated or not?

I read this interesting article in my morning newspaper about the three captives in Guantanimo, who hung themselves. It stated that the US authorities said it was a coordinated event. The three had no regards for life, including their own and tried to become martyrs this way. Personally I think that after 4 years in Gitmo, with no sight on a possible release and next to no rights..... well I would start and consider suicide also.

My question is: what do you guys think about the whole ordeal?
June 13th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I read this interesting article in my morning newspaper about the three captives in Guantanimo, who hung themselves. It stated that the US authorities said it was a coordinated event. The three had no regards for life, including their own and tried to become martyrs this way. Personally I think that after 4 years in Gitmo, with no sight on a possible release and next to no rights..... well I would start and consider suicide also.

My question is: what do you guys think about the whole ordeal?
Better there than in an American Supermax prison?
June 13th, 2006  
mmarsh

Not sure I agree with that. At least in the Supermax facilities the prisoners have been charged, tried, and convicted of a crime. They at least got their 'due process', and I suspect there are more dangerous criminals in the Supermax than in Gitmo.

Most of the prisoners at Gitmo havent even been accused of anything. For sure there are violent terrorists in there, no doubt. But I also suspect there are people who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, well never know because they Administration refuses to anything.
--
June 13th, 2006  
bulldogg

Personally, I don't know and more importantly I don't care. There wasa time not long ago I was bothered by Gitmo's Camp Delta but now, after I have spent more time researching my enemy I couldn't give a good god damn about their treatment or mistreatment. Suicides? Whatever... one less mouth my tax dollars have to feed and one less suicide bomber to worry about.
June 14th, 2006  
AussieNick

Quote:
The three had no regards for life, including their own and tried to become martyrs this way.
Not a martyr if you hang yourself with a bedsheet. If you die in the act of killing infidels then you are a martyr, if you commit pointless lonely suicide then your an idiot. At least that is what I was led to believe martyrdom was.
June 14th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh

Not sure I agree with that. At least in the Supermax facilities the prisoners have been charged, tried, and convicted of a crime. They at least got their 'due process', and I suspect there are more dangerous criminals in the Supermax than in Gitmo.

Most of the prisoners at Gitmo havent even been accused of anything. For sure there are violent terrorists in there, no doubt. But I also suspect there are people who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, well never know because they Administration refuses to anything.
Yea, but Supermax inmates are on lockdown 23 hours a day and their "outside time" consists of an enclosed cell with a slit in the ceiling for sunlight to get in. Not the happiest place... Aren't the Gitmo guys outside all the time?
June 14th, 2006  
jequirity

I really don't like the fact that none of these inmates havn't been tried. Its understandable that a couple have hanged themselves. PR stunt? Piss off! I agree that there will be people who DO deserve to be in there, but there will be people who don't.

I don't like the idea that there does not seem to be any effort being spent to seperate the good guys from the bad guys. EVERYONE deserves a fair trial, thats what makes our justice systems more rational. It seems like the adminstration is shooting itself in the foot in the war on terror with the GB morality issue.

Give the inmates a fair trial, then free the good guys and lock the bad guys up accordingly. Fair do's
June 14th, 2006  
phoenix80

I really dont care about bunch of terrorist killing themselves to join their brothers in allah's paradise.

BTW, it is a grand sin to do self damage/suicide in Islam

Good riddance if you will
June 14th, 2006  
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogg
one less mouth my tax dollars have to feed and one less suicide bomber to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix80
I really dont care about bunch of terrorist killing themselves to join their brothers in allah's paradise.
I agree with you two if, in fact, these were terrorists. But that is my point; Gitmo is the prime example were the basic justice fundaments stopped working. People were picked of the street, desert if you like, some guilty and others aren't. The mere fact that the US stopped bothering to find out if this is true worries me. The fact that our politicians reluctantly hardly ask questions about this bothers me too! I can't cope well with the fact that it isn't important whether or not you have done anything and people say: ah well, too bad they were in the wrong place at the wrong time!

p.s. If I were let loose after 4 or 5 years in that hellhole, I would make it my life's mission to kill as many as possible of the people who inflicted this on me! I would turn into the thing they accused me of from the very start.
June 14th, 2006  
bulldogg

They were already associating with a bad crowd, a man is known by the company he keeps. To me its no different than the family that doesn't move when their neighbour is manufacturing IEDs.