Suggestions for Army Recruit Training

Padre

Milforum Chaplain
What movies and documentaries would you recommend that would be good for army recruits to see in order to be inspired and learn good values as future soldiers - and specifically what scenes, characters, episodes.

I use a few already, and would like to know what's out there that I may not know about but would be good to use for my recruits.

Thanks

Here's what I use already:

1. "Recruits" (featuring US marines, French Foreign Legion, British cadets)
2. "Four Hours in My Lai" (Vietnam)
3. Training scene from "We Were Soldiers" (Vietnam)
4. Say A Prayer for Me (Aussie chaplains in Vietnam)
5. Training scene from episode one of "Band of Brothers."
6. "Greener Pastures" (Aussie soldier & wife in Townsville)
7. "Goose Green" (British in Faulklands war)
8. "Defence Values" (produced by Dept of Defence, Australia)
9. Sunday news programme "Rules of Engagement" (6RAR in Timor)
10. second half of "Galipolli"
11. excerpts from "Saving Private Ryan."

If you don't mind pure fantasy, "The Eagle Has Landed" is a wonderful character study of the mindset of an elite unit.

"Odd Angry Shot" is a sad, funny, and sometimes brutal tale of an Aussie SAS unit in Vietnam.

"The Stick" is a sometimes strange, but very brutal tale of the breakdown of command and unit cohesion set in the African Bush.

"Zulu" though historically flawed, is the story of a small group of soldiers standing up against seemingly impossible odds.

"The Lighthorsemen" A well told story of one of Australia's greatest military feats.

All of the Field Manuals, Publication Manuals, War Manuals, etc you can find.

If you want to do the leg work, you can take clips from movies that apply to certain manuals and put them into one video or power point presentation. Facts, backed up with a little drama can be great motivation.

dougal said:
Tigger Land, its all about trainning.

We were soldiers i dont think so.

Dougal, your recommendation wouldn't have anything to do with Tigerlands sex scenes, would it ???? :-D :roll:

FutureDevilDog said:
Pee Wee Herman

and Muppets take Manhattan

I'm surprised you didn't add "Team America" in that list. :)

Thanks Forrest :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back