Sudan leader: No international court can touch me (AP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AP - A defiant Sudanese president rallied Arab supporters in Darfur Wednesday by saying no war crimes court or the U.N. Security Council can touch even an eyelash on him despite an international order for his arrest.

More...

International Court? No.

JDAM-Yes

Harpoon-Yes

Tomahawk-Yes

Like the idea, but let's not forget how many countries are actually signed up for the ICC - about 150, of which only 100 or so have actually ratified this treaty. Amongst the non signers - USA, China, Russia & India.

As of yet the only cases entered before the ICC are African, despite calls for Afghanistan, Georgia and Colombia to be included. i beleive that this has led some African nations to believe that the ICC is an "Imperialist" tool, hence the lack of belief in its legitimacy. This is the foundation of Al-Bashirs repudiation.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the ICC I believe that this is a PR exercise, it has no teeth and no deadline. Bashir is responsible for the situation in Dharfur, but despite numerous diplomatic overtures nothing has changed. The media reports on the situation as a news filler, or every 4 months, whichever is the quicker. If nations were truly disgusted with Sudan something would have been done by now, but situation no change.

Back