Sudan has drones, is pursuing missiles - state media

rock45

Sudan has drones, is pursuing missiles - state media

Wed Sep 5, 2007 11:42PM IST
By Andrew Heavens
KHARTOUM (Reuters) - Sudan has developed unmanned surveillance planes, is developing missiles, and is now "self-sufficient" in conventional weapons, a Sudanese state news agency reported.
The rare public announcement on Sudan's military capability gave no details on how far missile development had progressed or where the surveillance drones might be used.
International commentators were sceptical about the scope of its statements, and no one was available for comment from the Ministry of Defence on Wednesday.

Full story
From news bot
http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-29357320070905

Question about Sudan

Doesn't Sudan have oil and or natural gas? Can't they afford to buy directly from China and cut out Iran? I had Sudan on my maybe list for JF-17s and and a few other goodies and wanted to know if they could handle the maintenance for such weapons? Do you have the know how to operate 3rd + generation jets and other equipment? Is outside hired help needed I guess is what I'm asking really? I don't know tons about that section of Africa but if Sudan bought 50 JF-17/J-10 fighters and 200/300 typer 98 main battle tanks, would they be top dog in the area? If Sudan were to attack Chad would France help? Sorry for the basic questions but I don't really know who's on who side. I assume China's involved for the oil and arms sales but might be making a government power move as well. A friend of mind in a England based forum pointed out in not so clear terms that China throwing around a lot of back door money in this region. He wouldn't just come out and say who so if somebody can give me a basic breakdown on the surrounding countries it would be helpful, thanks.
icon5.gif

Doesn't Sudan have oil and or natural gas? Can't they afford to buy directly from China and cut out Iran? I had Sudan on my maybe list for JF-17s and and a few other goodies and wanted to know if they could handle the maintenance for such weapons? Do you have the know how to operate 3rd + generation jets and other equipment? Is outside hired help needed I guess is what I'm asking really? I don't know tons about that section of Africa but if Sudan bought 50 JF-17/J-10 fighters and 200/300 typer 98 main battle tanks, would they be top dog in the area? If Sudan were to attack Chad would France help? Sorry for the basic questions but I don't really know who's on who side. I assume China's involved for the oil and arms sales but might be making a government power move as well. A friend of mind in a England based forum pointed out in not so clear terms that China throwing around a lot of back door money in this region. He wouldn't just come out and say who so if somebody can give me a basic breakdown on the surrounding countries it would be helpful, thanks.
icon5.gif

Not when they r under arms embargo by the UN, but a few weeks ago, Amnesty Int'l had a report showing Chinese weapons, attack helicopters and rifles being taken off the chinese military transport aircrafts in Sudan and it made a big controversy in the media too (short lived thou) and the Iranian regime helped Sudan back in 1990s when Darfur wasn't an issue.

I remember that Iran gave away some Chinese F-6 jets and ex-Iraqi aircrafts to Sudan.

And one thing you didn't notice is that those new chinese fighters have Israeli avionics and can't be exported.

avionics

What Chinese fighters have Israeli avionics? I know the J-10 idea is most likely built off the Lavi design and a mixture of Pakistan allowing the Chinese to look under the hood of their Vipers but the Israeli's aren't putting their parts in them. I sure the Chinese pick up a lot off the Lavi design but their quick learners and been building aircraft from kits for years. Most of their tech and tech know how is from Russia. They build engines, missiles, and fighters and are one of the few countries in the world that do. I'm not saying their the best nor as good as current designs from other makers just that they produce them. With billions of dollars of R&D money their getting better that's all, it was bound to happen. The J-8 II or D fighters is pure Chinese and the newer J-11 Flankers copies are pure, the first batch had Russian engines. I've read about Chinese made jet engines called the WS-10 and WS-13 but know little about them. China really tight lipped about information. The JF-17s, J-10s, and J-11s are their stepping stones really. I think China would sell anything to anybody and wouldn't care if their were Israeli or even American parts in them. They went ahead with the Russian built engines in the JF-17 and didn't seem to care. It pissed off India one of Russia's biggest customers too. They don't have to event the jet fighter just build them. I think compared to the Mig-19/21 copies China is known for these JF-17, J-10, and J-11s are light years more advance. The US built F-14/15/16 were leaps and bounds better then our early jets right the Chinese 3rd generation or 3rd + fighters are just better then their 2nd generation fighters, that's all. A simple and natural progression .

Last edited:
Back