Suchoj Su-33 better than F-14 Tomcat ?

Macoy

In 1984 the Soviet's startet to develop a carrier based aircraft called Su-27K because the VTOL-Fighter Yak-38 (used on kiev-class aircraft carriers) was not really equal to the US Navy's F-4 Phantom II or the F-14, that replaced the Phantom's in this time.

Since 1994 this aircraft is in use. Novadays China is interessted in bying the latest export version (Su-33MK).

If someone here has more information on this, I, as aircraft fanatic, would be happy :)

queens_ranger said:
ghost457 said:
or the up-and-coming F/A-22

no since this is a comparison of carrier-borne fighters
Oh fine Queenie, bring reality into the discussion. :lol:
Macoy, check out Jane's weapons and some of the other links in the thread about good sites on the net for all things military hey. ;)

I have a bad feeling this one will soon degenerate into another pi$$ing match about who's uncle's sister's cousin's best friend was a better fighter pilot on Microsoft's Combat simulator in the online all world non-casualty world war in 1988 during spring break in Cancun after consuming "jump juice" made in the bathtub by a lil man named Hector and his transsexual love slave Consuela.

Don't you bring Consuela into this!

In all seriousness though, one large advantage the United States would have in a hypothetical aerial battle with China is simple numerical superiority. Not to mention additional qualitative advantages over Chinese aircraft. Especially once the Navy/Marine version JSF starts to appear in force. China simply doesn't have the technological or industrial capability to keep pace with the United States at this point.

PershingOfLSU said:
In all seriousness though, one large advantage the United States would have in a hypothetical aerial battle with the United States is simple numerical superiority.
That's it you're cut off, no more jump juice for Pershing. :lol:

PershingOfLSU said:
Don't you bring Consuela into this!

In all seriousness though, one large advantage the United States would have in a hypothetical aerial battle with China is simple numerical superiority.

in all seriousness

the US would run out of missiles long before PLAAF, the world's largest airforce; runs out of aircrafts

http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/howtomakewar/databases/armies/an.asp

http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/howtomakewar/databases/armies/ea.asp

The info is a year or two old but i doubt China could more than double its airfoce in 2 years.

American aircraft: 7600

Chinese aircraft: 3300

Now lets say half of the american aircraft are support (no facts to back it up but the US probally has many more combat aircraft than support) so that leaves 3800 aircraft. Lets take another 1000 and say there helicopters. That leaves 2800 aircraft. lets be realstic here and say one american aircraft can take down two chinese aircraft. If my math is correct that leaves 1150 american aircraft left over.

Like many of my statements on this board your statement is completely absurd.

On the subject of the F-14, your forgetting it was built as an air superiority fighter. It also has some advanced electronics and some of the best air to air weapons in the world.

on a side note, Does anyone know if the USAF dog fighting program at Miramar is still operational. If so what planes do they use. Sorry thinking of the F-14 brought back Top Gun memorys.

The program is still in effect but is now in the middle of the Nevada desert where it will require much more effort to repeat the sort of 'tailhook' engagements that led to the move away from Miramar.

That number you posted Rabs was combat aircraft without supoprt aircraft included. The following numbers are taken from the Air Force fact sheets:

F-16C/D: 1280
F-15: 522
F-15E: 217

From Wikipedia:

F-18 (Both Models): 1048 received

The Marine Corp has at least 87 Harriers, possibly more.

Lastly the Air Force has one squadron of Raptors, with delivery to be finished by 2008.

Not counting the Raptors or Harriers, harriers are primarily for CAS, the United States military has at least 3067 fighters.

The Americans would run out of missiles?!?! I doubt it. Either way, this is about the Su-33 Vs the F14, not about China Vs. USA. They are both fine aircraft, very powerfull and well armed. The Sukhoi is much newer though. I would have to say it might be a bit better. The Su-37, a close relative, recently recieved a 6 pag covrage in the IAF(Israeli Air Force) Magazine. This article had the Su portraid as an exellent aircraft, which is not too surprising. After all, it is a very good family of aircraft.

Rabs said:
Like many of my statements on this board your statement is completely absurd.

i would actually call basing your argument on a single source rather absurd

when you visit china and its airforce bases, you'll know what i mean

chinese airforce fighters, albeit most of them being obsolete, number in the tens of thousands

j-6s and variants alone are nearly 2,000 strong

Getting in a little late here...

Rabs said:
on a side note, Does anyone know if the USAF dog fighting program at Miramar is still operational. If so what planes do they use. Sorry thinking of the F-14 brought back Top Gun memorys.
According to this transcript of a Navy video, they're flying Tomcats and Hornets on the Blue side and F-5's and F-16's on the Red side. (Note: the transcript says "A-5 Tiger", but I'm almost 100% positive that's a typo -- should be "F-5 Tiger".) Looks like they've dropped the Skyhawk on the Red side, and it looks like they'll drop the Tomcat on the Blue side soon.

As someone else already mentioned, Fighter Weapons School (aka "Top Gun") is now based at NAS Fallon, NV. Also, it's a Navy program, not an Air Force program. The closest thing the Air Force has to Top Gun is Red Flag, which is based at Nellis AFB, NV.

since when did the russians hav carriers? the us has like only 4? or 5? now. the F-14D is better than the Su-27K. though it'll b gone by 07. F/A-22 and F-35's. carrier based yets r somewhat pointless now that new fighters hav a larger fuel tank and hav enough range to fly like half way aroudn the world. and since when was this a carrier based forum?

Back