On submarine watch and customs officers

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Coming back off a major NATO exercise in Germany in the 1980's, the squadron (among many other regiments) boarded a massive DFDS roll on roll off ferry from Cuxhaven in Germany en route to Harwich in the UK.

One of my buddies was driving an AEC 6x6 10 tonner carrying an empty water trailer on the back. Customs officers are all to aware that troops will always try to smuggle extra cigarettes, wines and spirits over the amount which is allowed. Military trucks have got loads of little hidey holes that customs officers are fully aware of. Before leaving Germany my buddy climbed inside the water trailer, and using duct tape, taped his contraband to the roof of the water trailer.

On arrival in Harwich I followed my buddy into the customs hall, customs officers were over our trucks like a rash, checking all the usual hidey holes, when one climbed on the back of my buddies truck, he climbed on the water trailer, undone the hatch and was about to climb inside. My buddy thinking on his feet shouted, “OI where do you think your going?” The customers officer stated he was going to check inside the waiter trailer. My buddy said, “No your not, that water trailer is for blokes drinking water. All the crap on your boots you'll give us all cholera. GET OUT!” Amazingly the customs officer looked at his dirty boots and climbed down.

On arrival back on unit we had a roll call and found one of the men was missing. No one had seen him since he went to bed the previous night. Two days later he came strolling into the unit, apparently he fell asleep, and woke up when the ship was back in Cuxhaven to pick up the 2nd load of troops and vehicles. He reported to the Sergeant Major of a sister Squadron, who immediately gave him a BREN gun, put him on the stern of the ship and told him he was on “Anti submarine watch”

Did you see any submarines he was asked, "No" he replied, "But I saw a lot of blokes throwing up over the side."

Back